Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Help with my 10g? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-my-10g-77576/)

sholi 08-09-2011 07:44 PM

Help with my 10g?

I have one female guppy in my 10g right now, water conditions are all good with the tank 1/4 planted (still trying to grow java fern) and heated/filtered with a rock for hiding places.

Can a honey-set or any 4 inch gourami go with 4 female guppies?

If i cannot, what is a fish besides platies that i can add with 3 female guppies if a gourami won't do well with guppies?

Thank you :)

And can i also add 1 more female guppy if there is enough room?

P.S. one last thing, there are these plant bulbs from walmart that can be planted in aquariums, will those be safe?
Walmart.com: Sea-Life Plants Live Aponogeton Aquarium Bulbs, 1ct: Fish

Thank you again. :D

sholi 08-09-2011 08:12 PM

sorry i meant, can any 4 inch gourami go with 3 female guppies.

ladayen 08-09-2011 08:34 PM

a 10g is too small for a gourami. Might be doable if you could upgrade to at least a 20g. In your current 10g tank you should be ok with another guppy but thats about it.

Byron 08-10-2011 09:59 AM

Hi sholi, and welcome to Troical Fish Keeping forum.

I agree with ladayen, a 4-inch gourami is too large for anything under 20g.

More guppy, but if you have male and female they will breed and then you will have a lot of guppies frequently. Female guppies can be impregnated by a male when very, very young, so even buying only females is no guarantee unless you buy them from the breeer who has culled them properly. If you can't get rid of the fry somehow, the tank will be over-crowded in no time.

Byron.

redchigh 08-10-2011 10:36 AM

Have you tested your PH yet?

If not, then call your water department and find out. We'll be able to give you better advice then.

As a starting list, a few options would be-

Any of the 'dwarf' tetras or rasboras- Ember tetras, dwarf rasbora, green neon tetra, or, for something larger, some dwarf gourami could work. Honeys are too large, but look around at some other, smaller, dwarf gourami... A few only max out at a couple inches. You could also try a female betta- many are colorful, and most are quite peaceful.
If you have basic water, switch out the tetras/rasboras for the smaller danio species, along with livebearers. The Celestichthys margaritatus, Celestial Pearl Danio, is also a very nice fish.

For bottom activity, there are some small species of dwarf loach and dwarf corydoras.. Too many species to name.

Those bulbs are fine, but they don't always grow. I would just go to a pet shop and have them order a sprouted one for you. Might be a dollar or two more, but at least you know it will grow.

tf1265 08-10-2011 12:41 PM

I have a couple 10 gallon tanks and I have had trouble finding fish that will stay small enough and don't need huge schools to fill it as well.

I have had good luck with neon tetras - you can put a school of 5 or 6 in a 10 gallon tank and still have a few more fish in there.

I adore cory catfish. I've had a couple species, the ones I most often see in stores are peppered (or sometimes "spotted) and albino. The albinos are very sensitive to light so they might not work in your tank, but I have 3 peppered that I absolutely love. They keep the bottom of the tank free of fallen food the top feeders didn't get, and they are very playful and gentle.

I tried a dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon tank. They will want a few good hiding places, a significant amount of floating plants as they go crazy in full light, and they can be a bit aggressive with other fish. If your tank doesn't fit those needs, I would stay away. They are gorgeous to look at, but it's not worth having them get aggressive because your tank isn't HEAVILY planted. I learned the hard way.

Calmwaters 08-10-2011 07:27 PM

Personally I think neons are much to active for a 10 gallon tank. Some that would work if the water parimeters are right ember tetras are very pretty and stay small.