Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   platy and guppy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platy-guppy-77563/)

tiger03 08-09-2011 05:26 PM

platy and guppy

I have two female platys and one male guppy and a cory cat. The male guppy is constantly "harassing" one of the female platys...Are there any suggestions how to handle this? My son picked out the fish to his liking...and I never really thought about the sex of the fish.
Are guppies aggressive towards platys?

ladayen 08-09-2011 08:58 PM

honest question here.. are you interested in keeping the fish alive? or simply got them because your son said he did. If he stopped being interested in them would you still want them?

As to your question, guppies, mollies, platies, and swordtails are all livebearers and will attempt to breed with each other. This often enough results in the death of the female. You could add more females to spread out the males advances.

tiger03 08-09-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 775530)
honest question here.. are you interested in keeping the fish alive? or simply got them because your son said he did. If he stopped being interested in them would you still want them?

As to your question, guppies, mollies, platies, and swordtails are all livebearers and will attempt to breed with each other. This often enough results in the death of the female. You could add more females to spread out the males advances.

Oh my, no...I am already thinking about getting an aquarium for my studio. My son isn't typical. He waited a year to get his aquarium and has waited with it all set up without any fish so the water would be ok for fish.I did let him pick out his fish, because he was such a great kid with patience while getting it all going.

When we thought the female platy was pregnant, he literally couldn't sleep and was a nervous wreck. I posted here, because my questions elsewhere were going unanswered, and I literally had noooo idea that guppies and platys would mate, otherwise I would have been more conscious about the sexes of the fish. I have wanted to go into this going about it the right way. And you live and learn, correct?

How many females should I have per male? And I am thinking we are not supposed to have too many fish in the 20 gallon aquarium....

I know you do not know me, but I have raised dogs, cats, birds, sheep, angora rabbits, angora goats, and chickens. I currently have a thriving petsitting business, and just spent 30 minutes dancing and singing with a ruby red macaw to keep her company while her owners are on a vacation.

My son has not lost interest. He knows lots about his fish, because he is truly interested.
I will get more females, and if I have to I will get another aquarium so I do not over populate the tank. I am trying to learn.

In all sincerity,
Adrienne

ladayen 08-10-2011 01:30 AM

Ok now that we got that out of the way I'll clarify some more.

Guppies and Platy's are unlikely to actually succesfully mate. However that wont stop a male from trying. This will eventually mean the death of the female if the male focuses on only one.Generally you want a minimum of 2 females per male, preferably 3+. Livebearers will generally eat the babies or "fry" as they are called so if you want them to live you will have to remove the adults from the tank.

Do you have a testing kit? Liquid testers are generally more accurate then strips. API master tester kit is a popular choice. You also need to find out the PH and hardness of your water. Livebearers like harder water, it's essential if you want fry. You can get this information from your water company.

As to your Hillstream loach, I would recommend you return it to the store if possible. It's really not suited for your tank set up. For your cory, they are schooling fish and require groups, 5 of a single species species or you can do groups of 3 of different species. I just double checked some info on the swordtail and they can grow to 6". I would suggest returning it as well as you will need a bigger tank to properly raise it.

With 2 male livebearers and 4 females and 5 cories in a 20g this would put you at slightly overstocked but doable. However this doesn't allow room for fry. You may want to just return the cory and the guppy as well and pretty much start over with just the platies(since your son seems attached to them) and build around that.

You can view some information on the fish with the profiles. You can click on the shaded names: Hillstream Loach, Guppy, Platy, Swordtail. You can also search for others with the Tropical Fish Profiles tab near the top of the page, second from the left. You didn't mention which species of cory you have so perhaps try that one if you know :)

Ack just noticed the time lol. Past my bedtime. Welcome to the Forums BTW :) I'm really liking it here, quite a few experienced people to help out. Any further questions please do ask. I'll check back tomorrow after work or maybe someone else will jump in.

tiger03 08-14-2011 02:38 PM

Thank you so much for all of your help! :) I haven't ignored what you have posted, I have been getting tons of last minute pet sitting jobs and have hardly been near the computer. But I am so excited to have a little bit more of an educated starting point!! I also, LOL, got a little ten gallon set up the day after you posted back, and then a friend of mine, she has another twenty gallon that is needing a home she was my son's first drum teacher, and she wanted to give it to him. She has a 55gallon, and I had no idea she was so educated and into fish and kind of looks like I will be asking her a ton of questions as well.

All I could manage to find here this past week was three female guppies..LOL..I had no idea that they were so popular?? But that actually seems to have done the trick with the boy guppy. He has calmed a ton.

My son didn't want to get rid of the swordtail, so I am thinking he might get to live in our new 20g tank as soon as we get it over here.
My friend was shocked that we have had the tank for a month and a half so far, and have no casualties, since we are new to this. So, I must be doing something right?

Thank you also for the information about the water testing kits, now that I am not buried in work, I will be getting us one of those to keep the water balanced in all of our new tanks. It is funny, I find myself going up to my sons room and sitting there for 30 minutes at a time or so, just watching the personalities of the fish. And Tiger, my son, he tells me all the time what the habits are of certain ones. He has studied them all. So fun!

Thanks again! I will let you know if I have any other questions. :)
Adrienne

ladayen 08-15-2011 02:25 PM

so you now have 2 20g tanks and a 10g?

Do you still have the hillstream loach and the cory?

tiger03 08-15-2011 02:34 PM

yes, I have not been able to get back up to the store to return the loach yet because of my schedule. I had planned on working on it some today, and have been a little bit, but I got bit by a dog yesterday for the first time since starting the pet sitting last year, and needless to say, I am moving slow. LOL...SIGH
And yes to the cory as well, I am going to get more cories, but like I sai, all in good time.
For now, I just moved the platys over to the ten gallon. the guppies and cory are in the 20. I have not picked up the other 20 from my friend yet as she works evenings and lives about 30 minutes from here. She works by me, but doesn't drive a vehicle that could deliver the tank or the stand safely, and I have a suburban. So I say, yet AGAIN...all in good time! :)

tiger03 08-15-2011 02:39 PM

What would you say it would take to give the hillstream loach a nice place to live? We really like him/her! I was reading that they need a lot of aeration, I am guessing so it would be more like moving water of a stream or river. Since we are about to aquire another aquarium, maybe we have room to work with it?
This 20 gallon is going to be in my living room on a built in entertainment center in place of a tv. LOL IF it still wont be an ideal fish to keep, I am not against bringing him back to the store...just need the time to get it done.

ladayen 08-15-2011 02:45 PM

In the profile for Hillstream Loach, you can see that they prefer groups, so you would have to get a few more, 5-6 total. Nothing else could go in that tank. You would need a good current in there, over powered filter and an airstone perhaps. Also some decent size rocks and bright light to grow algae.

tiger03 08-15-2011 02:50 PM

I have noticed that it loves the skull my son has in his tank. And he keeps it clean and pretty. Ok, I am guessing I will just take it back to the store. Thank you for all your help. I really love learning about new things in the animal world.