Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   NWE FLUVAL (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/nwe-fluval-7754/)

atkins 08-22-2007 05:04 PM

NWE FLUVAL

hello we just got ourselves a 36 gallon corner tank, and decided to use the fluval 305 canister. so far it hooked up awesomely, we have no fish in the tank yet, we are waiting to let it settle for a week or two. anyway, what media is best to use? we have the stock setup it came with

(carbon in the bottom, carbon & biomax in the middle and biomax up top, along with the filter sponges).

is this good? I think the bio max is kinda like a bio wheel right? so that don't need to be changed often? anyway any input is helpful

thanks

jones57742 08-22-2007 05:43 PM

Ak:

I not intimately familiar with cannister filters but I believe that you will find that a majority of the members of the Forum will recommend against the use of activated carbon for typical filtration.

Activated charcoal is typically only used in very anomalous situations and these occur very, very infrequently.

More typical mechanical and biological filtration are appropriate for normal use.

A filtration process which has been found to be effective is:
1) coarse mechanical filtration media
2) fine mechanical filtration media
3) coarse biological filtration media (these are my words which I use to describe the media) (for example bioballs)
4) fine biological filtration media (for example sintered glass).

TR

atkins 08-22-2007 06:38 PM

thanks for your input, but im not as fish worthy as you, so can i get some examples of the different types of media?? that would help a lot

jones57742 08-22-2007 07:02 PM

Ak:

Quote:

Originally Posted by atkins
thanks for your input, but im not as fish worthy as you

You will really hurt my feeling here. Everyone is learning. I am trying to impart my experience to you and will expect the same "somewhere down the road" from you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atkins
so can i get some examples of the different types of media?? that would help a lot

I am way, way out of pocket here and will need to research the the fluval 305 canister (in order to determine how the filtration process in this canister filter relates to my wet/dry process). Please give me some time to do this and I will get back with you.

Folks: If anyone can "short circuit my time helping" for Ak then please do so.

TR

willow 08-22-2007 07:54 PM

hello and welcome.
i have the 305,bare with me and i will reply again . :)

willow 08-22-2007 08:00 PM

ok the canister.
you won't really need the carbon at the moment to be honest.
in the trays you will have cerramic rings,and at the side of the filter
you will have the sponges,
have you taken out the rings from the bag they were in
if there was one ? don't empty the carbon out of the bags. .!!!!
now that the filter is in place,leave it,
as you go through the cycle,leave the filter alone,that is where the biological bacteria need to grow.
you will not need to change sponges,or the rings.
are you going to cycle with fish or without ?

atkins 08-22-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
ok the canister.
you won't really need the carbon at the moment to be honest.
in the trays you will have cerramic rings,and at the side of the filter
you will have the sponges,
have you taken out the rings from the bag they were in
if there was one ? don't empty the carbon out of the bags. .!!!!
now that the filter is in place,leave it,
as you go through the cycle,leave the filter alone,that is where the biological bacteria need to grow.
you will not need to change sponges,or the rings.
are you going to cycle with fish or without ?

ok, it came with 3 carbon bag, and 3 of the biomax ring bags. i took the rings out of the bags (2 bags on top tray 1 on middle tray) and i took the carbon out of the plastic bag but yes i did leave it in the little nylon baggies (there are 2 carbon bags on bottom tray and 1 on middle tray) there are no fish in it till it cycles, we have very hard water here so im trying to watch the ph, and the hardness. so the sponges, are those like bio wheels? as in i never have to change them? or are the rings like that? (lol im just used to my emperor 400 on my 72 gallon tank)

willow 08-23-2007 08:17 AM

hello
are you going to cycle with or with out fish ?
also i'm just wondering if you could use some of the
filter media from your other filter.for this new one,
you will be half way cycling.
i'm not familiar with your filter at the mo,will look later. :)
be careful about altering your PH,as this can be very
detrimental(sp) to the fish,
please don't think me rude here,how long have you
had the other fish for,and what is is stocked with ?
:)
AFAIK no need to change the sponges unless they dissintergrated.

atkins 08-23-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
hello
are you going to cycle with or with out fish ?
also i'm just wondering if you could use some of the
filter media from your other filter.for this new one,
you will be half way cycling.
i'm not familiar with your filter at the mo,will look later. :)
be careful about altering your PH,as this can be very
detrimental(sp) to the fish,
please don't think me rude here,how long have you
had the other fish for,and what is is stocked with ?
AFAIK no need to change the sponges unless they dissintergrated.

i dont think you rued, i enjoy your help. the other tank i have is just a community tank with 2 lepuranus, 2 bala sharks, 1 loach, 2 tetras, 2 gourami, and one pleco. we have had this tank for 3 years, and most of those fish are still from our inital stocking. they have also all survived a 60 mile weekend move from our appartment to our new house too. they are all good little fish. in the new tank we are not sure what to put in it yet, my wife wants to put in some neons, and some rainbow tetras. as for cycling we did use quite a bit of water from the other tank ( it was time for a cleaning anyway) only about 15 gallons though. we thought it would help the new tank cycle faster

willow 08-23-2007 01:44 PM

hi
i'm not sure on your filter,can you borrow a sponge
from your existing filtre(without leaving it with nothing)
and put it into one of the baskets of the new filter,
as to be honest,the water doesn't do anything,and you'll
not be cycled.then put some prawn in the tank for the filter bacteria to feed on
if you are fishless cycling that is :)
your tetra in the other tank would be heaps happier if
they were in a larger group,and could you say what Loach you have.
some other opinions would be Great,incase i've got anything
wrong.