Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Power Loss - how to save fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/power-loss-how-save-fish-77532/)

EireBelle 08-09-2011 01:47 PM

Power Loss - how to save fish?

A huge storm hit yesterday afternoon. We haven't had power for about 20 hours now. Who knows when it will come back on; we have extensive electric line damage on our personal connection to power grid.

How long can my fish survive without power to run the filter?

I have a 50 gallon tank with about 20 starter plant bunches that were just put into the tank one day before power loss. Water change was completed at same time I planted. I have 4 guppies and 12 gold pristella tetras in there. Only a little sunlight reaches the tank from windows.
Posted via Mobile Device

lorax84 08-09-2011 02:12 PM

The plants will help keep the ammonia from spiking. With the stock you have in there now I wouldn't even worry about it between the plants and the bacteria you have in the tank. If you have a decent LFS near by you could see if they have a battery powered air pump to keep the oxygen level up in the water.

Mikaila31 08-09-2011 02:15 PM

I would not worry. You have a considerable number of plants and a very light stock in that tank. I doubt any water quality issues will result. Only thing I would be going is replace the water in the filter every 4 hours or so with water from the tank.

EireBelle 08-09-2011 02:37 PM

Thanks! Helps me breathe easier. Just talked with power company. There is a six day waiting list. Who knows where we're at on that list.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikaila31 08-09-2011 02:49 PM

Just watch the fish and don't feed them. If they look stressed at all I would do a water change if you are still able. Look on the bright side if you had a well like at my parents house. No power means no running water either.

AbbeysDad 08-09-2011 07:07 PM

Stores that have sporting goods will have battery operated air pumps used for minnow buckets. Might make all the difference.

Good luck. Hopefully the temperature will be okay.

onefish2fish 08-10-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 775315)
Stores that have sporting goods will have battery operated air pumps used for minnow buckets. Might make all the difference.

Good luck. Hopefully the temperature will be okay.

that or a fish store battery air pump (which might be more expensive)

air pumps dont really pump air into the water but disrupt the surface tension to allow for gas exchange. this is something that a filter or air pump on the tank would normally do. having a check valve on airline tubing isnt a bad idea either.. if power fails on a pump sitting on the floor, you may get a flood from back-siphoning

EireBelle 08-13-2011 10:11 PM

Update: We finally have power! Electricity was restored late Friday afternoon. All the fish survived! The tank water was very cloudy but the filter cleared it up overnight. I think I may lose a few plants though; they are just not looking very happy. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

--Eirebelle

woaussie 08-13-2011 10:18 PM

Portable air pump

Walmart in most stores in the sporting goods department has portable battery operated air pumps usally around $ 15.00. The one if have will run on 1 or 2 D-cell batterys. Work great. I even have a cooler with a 1/4 inch hole I put the air hose thru so I can use the pump to transport fish. Good old Walmart ! :lol: