Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   PH Testing 1 - 14 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-testing-1-14-a-77511/)

JImi 08-09-2011 07:15 AM

PH Testing 1 - 14

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy (in the UK) a PH testing kit thaqt ranges from 1-14. I know that the Alkalinity of my water is very high and the highest kit I can find is 9.4. I dotn really want to buy one of them if it is higher than that as it will be a waste of money ya know?

I would prefer a liquid kit to a testing strip one but any will do at the moment as my HC is not doing too well and the only thing I can think it is is the hardness and alkalinity and such of the water. Which I still cant get my head around by the way. All the guides I have found on KH and all that are gobbledeegook to me!

Anyways thanks all

Jimi

Byron 08-09-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JImi (Post 774557)
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy (in the UK) a PH testing kit thaqt ranges from 1-14. I know that the Alkalinity of my water is very high and the highest kit I can find is 9.4. I dotn really want to buy one of them if it is higher than that as it will be a waste of money ya know?

I would prefer a liquid kit to a testing strip one but any will do at the moment as my HC is not doing too well and the only thing I can think it is is the hardness and alkalinity and such of the water. Which I still cant get my head around by the way. All the guides I have found on KH and all that are gobbledeegook to me!

Anyways thanks all

Jimi

I have never seen aquarium test kits that cover the entire pH range. Fish cannot live in such extremes, which is probably why. Your tap water is not likely to be higher than in the 9's, if that. Contact your water supply folks and ascertain the hardness and pH of your water [this is something every aquarist needs to know before selecting fish] and that will tell you which of the available range pH kits will work for your water.

API make liquid test kits that are very reliable; most of the members here use it. Sera (if I spelt that correctly) also make reliable kits, though more expensive.

For info on hardness and pH, have a read of my article in the Freshwater Article section, here's the direct link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

Byron.

JImi 08-09-2011 02:04 PM

Hi Byron

Thank you for your reply. I do have a PH testing kit but it goes to the colour of the top end of the card very quickly which is why I thought it might be higher than 7.5. I will just buy a high end range one then and go from there. Thanks for the link as well, I shall peruse that tonight :)

Jimi

Byron 08-09-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JImi (Post 774903)
Hi Byron

Thank you for your reply. I do have a PH testing kit but it goes to the colour of the top end of the card very quickly which is why I thought it might be higher than 7.5. I will just buy a high end range one then and go from there. Thanks for the link as well, I shall peruse that tonight :)

Jimi

Often when tests are at the highest (or lowest) colour it does indeed indicate beyond that. Before wasting money on another kit, I would check with your water supply, it is public info, many have a website with data posted; knowing what it is officially is more reliable.

Mikaila31 08-09-2011 03:11 PM

no single test kit can measure 1-14. At least not accurately. You would probably need at least 5 different tests and indicator solutions. But beyond that no way you will come in contact with the entire pH range. Like a pH of 3 or lower and your looking at some serious acids. Same with stuff with a really high pH, its hazardous to handle as well.

JImi 08-09-2011 04:40 PM

Yes of course it is, how dumb am i?? lol

redchigh 08-09-2011 04:57 PM

I agree- Depending on your PH from your water supply, either a 'normal' ph test (range 4.0-7.4) or a high-ph test (7.0-8.8) will definately suffice..

Here's a list of items with their normal PH-
Hydrochloric acid
Lead-acid battery
Gastric acid
1.5 – 2.0
Lemon juice
Coke
Vinegar
Orange or apple juice
Tomato Juice
Beer
Acid Rain