Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Did something stupid - do I need to get a new tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/did-something-stupid-do-i-need-7750/)

McKay 08-22-2007 02:39 PM

Did something stupid - do I need to get a new tank?

I hope the answer is no, seeing as it's new, but better to know now...

I put a thermometer strip INSIDE my 5gal tank (which currently contains no fish) and was told that they belong on the outside (I have no excuse for this one beyond a misreading of the packaging...not my finest moment). An attempt to remove this left a small amount of sticky adhesive residue on the inside of my tank. Will this be toxic to my fish? I can't get it off for love nor money (haven't used any cleaning products, of course). Googling hasn't helped me, as all I've found is that the stuff inside the things isn't toxic (good to know if I ever eat one, I guess...).

Please refrain from calling me a moron if you can help it, as I already feel plenty stupid about this one. :oops:

Mating Slinkys 08-22-2007 02:58 PM

Are you too far into your cycling process, cos nail polish remover gets adhesive gunk off brilliantly, but you'd obvoiusly not want it in your tank so you'd have to start over...

I have no idea if the stuff is toxic, although i wouldn't have thought so as it's a product for a fish tank, and my usual way of getting gunk of any kind off my tank is to use one of the olde fasioned razor blades and slice it off with a gentle sawing motion as you run the razor flat across the glass. A stanly knife blade or broad flat craft knife blade will do the trick too.

I wouldn't say you need a new tank, at the very worst, that is if someone comes along and says tha tthis adhesive is deadly to your fish, all you ned to do is empty the tank and give it a good scrub with nail polish remover, or some commercial product that does a similar job (there a a few out there) and make sure that you rinse the tank out good and proper and let it dry before filling it up and re-starting your cycling process. Annoying, but cheaper than getting a new tank! Hope that's some help!

willow 08-22-2007 02:58 PM

hello,and welcome,glad you are here.
don't worry we all make mistakes.
have you tried to remove it with a razor blade,
please don't think me rude here,however
if you are very young please ask an adult for assistance.
hth a bit.
:)
oops MS covered it well ^^.
looks like i've echoed. :)

Amphitrite 08-22-2007 03:34 PM

Welcome to the forum McKay. Don't feel embarrased in any way, I did the exact same thing when I first started out.

I took the water out to just below the level of the thermometer, quickly scraped it using the edge of a credit card, and then replaced the water. There was a slight mark left, but it never did any harm :)

McKay 08-22-2007 03:46 PM

My tank was cycled, but since I had to dump everything out in an attempt to scrub it out, I'm as good as un-cycled, though I removed the filter/media beforehand and didn't rinse the substrate. I'll try the razor blade idea, thanks!

And, sadly, I'm an adult ;) I'd like to say I'm not usually such a space case, but I pretty regularly have moments like these. Hey, it keeps life exciting ;)

beetlebz 08-22-2007 04:46 PM

believe you me ive done worse ;)

the razor blade idea will work flawlessly, assuming the tank is actually glass. when i bought my car the dealer forgot to wash the back window during the detailing and there was sticker junk on it. a razor blade and 35 seconds got rid of it quick like. I wouldnt think it would hurt the fish, otoh im no expert. just make sure they dont stick to the glass! <tries not to chuckle> good luck :)

willow 08-22-2007 08:10 PM

i have moments all the time. :mrgreen:
i think i can blame my age.

Andyandsue 08-24-2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKay
And, sadly, I'm an adult ;) I'd like to say I'm not usually such a space case, but I pretty regularly have moments like these. Hey, it keeps life exciting ;)

Are you near 40? I'm 40 and haven't heard the term "space case" since high school. Regardless, it really gave me a good laugh!!!

If you need to boost your cycle again, I suggest using BioSpira if you see any ammonia. Love that stuff, I've been ammonia free from day one.

jones57742 08-24-2007 11:30 PM

Mk:

You did not say if the tank was glass or acrylic or if the surface on which it was placed was bowed.

In physics "you always get 'back to the basics'" so:

If the surface on which you placed the thermometer strip is straight and glass then you you can use the typical "safety razor blade to remove" the deleterious material while "being careful" to contain and remove as much of the material as possible from the tank.

If the surface is acrylic (or glass for that matter) I would recommend trying Kate's "used credit card method".

TR

beetlebz 08-25-2007 08:21 AM

oooh good add, Jones :)

If they have acrylic id hate to see them scratch it :?