Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   HI, new member going to LFS today..SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/hi-new-member-going-lfs-today-7745/)

aquaagua 08-22-2007 01:01 PM

HI, new member going to LFS today..SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND!

I have a 55gal. tank (thats been up and running for a long time now) that as of right now has about 5 red eye tetra and 7 or so platy. I am definitley moving the platy out of this tank and as for the red eyes I was thinking about getting a large school of these (12-18 of them) but now I'm not too sure because they fin-nip and also because of the theme I'm going for. Now I'm thinking about the following fish (not all to be put in the tank, just these are what I might like as options):

1 Angelfish
2 Pearl Gouramis (anyone know how many will get along with
each other in a tank by the way?)
Congos
Long-fin danios
Long-fin (golden) rosy barbs
Long-fin white skirts
2 Kissing Gourami
Silver Dollars
Some kind of South American cichlid
OR i could make it a goldfish tank but not too sure about that

AGAIN I DON'T WANT ALL OF THESE FISH IN THE SAME TANK, THESE ARE JUST MY OPTIONS

So as you can see I'm going for the long flowing fins whimsical kind of look, with a castle in the tank and flowing green vine plants along with anchored green plants (all fake by the way)

If I did go with the red eye tetra instead how many should I have (somewhere in between 12-18 though because they school great I think).
Also what other fish would look good with red eye tetra (keeping in mind the color scheme of the tank decor which is basically blue, green, gray)

Falina 08-22-2007 01:23 PM

Hey, and welcome!

I'd advise against the silver dollars - they get pretty huge! I'm not entirely sure how big kissing gourami get but they get pretty big. I'd probably advise againest them also.

The tetras will be much less nippy in a large group so I don't think fin nipping would be as much of a problem if you have 12-18 of them.

For SA cics, how about keyholes or rams or apistos?

HTH

leifthebunny 08-22-2007 03:06 PM

I've got pearl gouramis with angelfish, though I'd recommend avoiding apistos with the gouramis or other fast moving fish as apistos are easy to spook from the movement. Rams should be fine though.

aquaagua 08-22-2007 03:19 PM

Thanks. I don't want apistos or rams (mostly because I have hard water here, ph 7.5+) though I was thinking something like a rainbow cichlid, blue acara, keyhole, severum.

Ok Silver Dollars and Kissing Gourami are out.

Oh also added to the options are green tiger barbs. These would be fine in a large group in the same tank as long-finned fish? Seems risky to me!

I want mostly (or all) hardy fish and fairly inexpensive, seems like prices have gone up $4-$7 for common type freshwater fish (fish that grow to only 2-3in.) Thats alot of money when trying to build a school so the schooling fish will definitely need to be like a .99 sale haha.

Here's a (bad) pic of the tank to get ideas of what might look good in it
http://fishforum.com/userpix/1543_new551_1.jpg

comando489 08-22-2007 03:26 PM

go with a cichlid tank! they are the best and you can have like 30 of them in one tank!

comando489 08-22-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaagua
I want mostly (or all) hardy fish and fairly inexpensive, seems like prices have gone up $4-$7 for common type freshwater fish (fish that grow to only 2-3in.) Thats alot of money when trying to build a school so the schooling fish will definitely need to be like a .99 sale haha.

all of my cichlids are doing very well, i think that i have only had one loss and that was because the poor guy was so small.

my chiclids range from $4-$17. i just got some more today.

GO WITH CICHLIDS!!!@

edit: and when i buy them they are already like 4-5 inches and they get a lot bigger!

leifthebunny 08-22-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaagua
Thanks. I don't want apistos or rams (mostly because I have hard water here, ph 7.5+) though I was thinking something like a rainbow cichlid, blue acara, keyhole, severum.

Hard water can be dealt with by adding driftwood.

aquaagua 08-22-2007 04:15 PM

Leaving for the LFS SOON and still no idea what fish to get!

Hmmm well I was thinking more of trying to find one cichlid (other than the angel that I might get) that will be my "centerpiece" fish. I don't want a mumba (spelling?) cichlid tank. And $4-$17 per fish is even worse than $4-$7 per fish haha. Trying to keep the cost DOWN not up haha.

I'm just torn right now between :

1- Tank of red eyes and green tiger barbs
2- Tank of one angel, 2 pearl gourami, and something(s) else on the list (anybody think the green tiger barbs would do ok with the angel, gouramis, and some long-finned fish..if the tigers were keep in a large group of maybe 8?)

Lupin 08-22-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comando489
go with a cichlid tank! they are the best and you can have like 30 of them in one tank!

What cichlid? For a 55g, only 2-3 pairs of rams, 2 colonies of apistos or a pair of either blue acaras or gold sevs will fit. 30 is too many for a small space.

leifthebunny 08-22-2007 05:54 PM

I like option #2, but if you do barbs, I'd recommend long finned rosy barbs.