Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   my first aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-first-aquarium-77432/)

crazyplaty 08-08-2011 12:28 PM

my first aquarium

5 Attachment(s)
I first started this tank on the last week of June. It took me a while to figure out where I wanted stuff, and I am still thinking I need to do more with it. I really like the driftwood, but I am thinking of just saving that for my next aquarium...

Attachment 33576

Attachment 33577

Attachment 33578

Attachment 33579

Attachment 33580

Romad 08-08-2011 02:10 PM

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing :)

onefish2fish 08-08-2011 02:14 PM

have you considered a background? i personally like to tape off and spray paint the back black on my tanks before i set them up, but since yours is already running you can always paint poster board ( or even cardboard ) to stick behind the glass. aquarium stores will also sell backgrounds in sheets for a price.

care to share more about what you have? what size tank? what filtration? i love how your already thinking about another tank! :roll: ;-)

crazyplaty 08-08-2011 02:53 PM

i have thought about a background, and i am thinking of possibly getting one sometime, everything is still setting up in my tank.

it is a 10g. i cant specify the filtration all i know is it is a basic, the whole set up was a kit. and i just bought the decorations and my aunt supplied me with the live plants.

if you look in my aquariums this one is the main tank. :)

BarbH 08-08-2011 03:04 PM

If haven't said it already welcome to TFK :-D Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. As mentioned a background will really help finish the look of your tank. I personally like the look of a black backgound, it helps to make the fish and the plants stand out, and you don't have to see the cords running behind the tank. For a 10 gallon you will probably pay no more than a few dollars for a background at the store. People also use poster board which works as well although it is not water proof. So if you are like me and are sometimes a little messy with your buckets :oops: it could get a bit wet. Word of caution this hobby can become highly addictive :-D

crazyplaty 08-08-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 773249)
Word of caution this hobby can become highly addictive :-D

lol it most certainly has already! my dad is planning on getting his 20 gal running again in the near future and i am already looking at getting at least 2 more tanks, but the problem is trying to find a place to put them lol.

BarbH 08-08-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyplaty (Post 773253)
lol it most certainly has already! my dad is planning on getting his 20 gal running again in the near future and i am already looking at getting at least 2 more tanks, but the problem is trying to find a place to put them lol.

That's why they have made stands that can hold two tanks ;-) More tanks less space taken :lol:

crazyplaty 08-08-2011 03:42 PM

oh i did not know that! hmmm...now you got me thinking more lol :)

onefish2fish 08-08-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 773283)
That's why they have made stands that can hold two tanks ;-) More tanks less space taken :lol:

or if your handy, you can build a stand to hold more then 2 ;-)

BarbH 08-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 773339)
or if your handy, you can build a stand to hold more then 2 ;-)

Unfortunately not that handy, and too busy and not enough follow through on diy projects :-D Had a headboard that I started making over a year ago for my bed which I never have finished :oops: Oh well maybe need to find a diy man who could work on those projects :-D