Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angels/Rams hard tap water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angels-rams-hard-tap-water-77411/)

car0linab0y 08-08-2011 08:32 AM

Angels/Rams hard tap water

My Bolivians have been in this water for some time now, and are doing fine. The German Blues and Angels I got this past Thursday. The Rams spawned (last night or this morning) but one of the 5 angels died overnight. Tank pH is around 7.4, but 7.6 out of the sink. Will they be OK, or do I need to get the pH down?

rrcoolj 08-08-2011 10:36 AM

Is your pH steady at 7.4? If your fish are tank raised I wouldn't worry about it. Tank raised fish are very durable and can cope with a variety of water conditions. A stable pH is better than the right pH. To know why your fish died we are going to need more information. Tank size, tankmates, filters, temperature, ammonia readings, nitrite readings, nitrate readings would all help.

car0linab0y 08-09-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrcoolj (Post 772713)
Is your pH steady at 7.4? If your fish are tank raised I wouldn't worry about it. Tank raised fish are very durable and can cope with a variety of water conditions. A stable pH is better than the right pH. To know why your fish died we are going to need more information. Tank size, tankmates, filters, temperature, ammonia readings, nitrite readings, nitrate readings would all help.

pH would probably only change if tap water changed, but I don't measure often. Doubt DIY CO2 would do enough to drop it, and that hasn't been running lately. Tank is a 65g (36x12?x18?) w/Amazon Swords, Wisteria, some type of Hygro, and Chain Sword. Whisper 60 filter, 78-82F (was 78F at the time, bumped to 80 yesterday).
Tankmates are Bolivians, Germans, Angels, and Swordtails. Ammonia <.25ppm, Nitrite <.25ppm, Nitrate <5.0ppm... I'm starting to think maybe it got caught up in the Chain Sword and never made it out. It was a little tough getting it out of there.

rrcoolj 08-09-2011 10:10 AM

Well for one your nitrite and ammonia are a little high. There should be no ammonia nitrite in the tank at all. How long has the tank been setup?

EireBelle 08-18-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car0linab0y (Post 774594)
pH would probably only change if tap water changed, but I don't measure often. Doubt DIY CO2 would do enough to drop it, and that hasn't been running lately. Tank is a 65g (36x12?x18?) w/Amazon Swords, Wisteria, some type of Hygro, and Chain Sword. Whisper 60 filter, 78-82F (was 78F at the time, bumped to 80 yesterday).
Tankmates are Bolivians, Germans, Angels, and Swordtails. Ammonia <.25ppm, Nitrite <.25ppm, Nitrate <5.0ppm... I'm starting to think maybe it got caught up in the Chain Sword and never made it out. It was a little tough getting it out of there.

With a tank of 36x12x18, that would only make your tank a 33.6 gallon tank? overstocked?

brokenrules69 08-28-2011 01:34 AM

i try to keep my angels at 6.8 ph
and i had very hard water but i have been weening them into softer water and they seem to be becoming a lot more active