Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Feeding live food to tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/feeding-live-food-tank-77352/)

yodapoolman 08-07-2011 05:35 PM

Feeding live food to tank

So I have about 9 black widow tetras and 9 serpae tetras, a few green cory, and a clown pleco. I normally feed the tank flake food, algae wafers and the occasional frozen bloodworms.

In reading on the fish profiles, it mentions "live foods". I've seen a video where someone would toss a nightcrawler or something in the tank (granted, they didn't have the same type of fish, it was a more agressive tank), but is this what they're referring to? Any suggestions on types of live foods or what I should ask for at the LFS?

ladayen 08-08-2011 12:20 AM

live foods to my knowledge generally means other fish, something I dont encourage.

It could include shrimp, worms, larva or even snails. These are ok generally. If your fish are fine with flakes and frozen food dont worry about live food.

Byron 08-08-2011 11:35 AM

Live foods include brine shrimp, worms, daphnia, insect larvae, ants, wingless fruit flies. And small fish for larger, but I also don't agree this is wise; I'll assume you are thinking of smaller fish in the tank, so the foods I've mentioned are the standard. Some of these you can buy from fish stores if they carry live foods, some you can buy cultures to raise yourself.

It is not necessary to have live foods, unless you have wild caught fish that take nothing else. But for most of the common aquarium fish, a good variety of prepared foods will provide complete nutrition. Discus are known for being fussy, but discus expert Jack Wattley frequently writes of never feeding anything other than good prepared (dried) foods for healthy discus. A variety is essential, 3 or 4 different types of flake/pellet and 3 or 4 different types of sinking foods if substrate feeders are in the tank. Frozen is another option, for variety. Having said that, some fish will not spawn unless fed live foods to get them in condition.

Live foods often become mandatory if you intend to raise fish such as most of the soft water egg-laying species. Livebearers are large enough to accept finely ground flake foods from the first, but many other fish are not. Newly-hatched brine shrimp is often a first food after infusoria. Most of us try to get prepared foods into the fry as soon as possible but this is usually not possible initially.

Byron.

AbbeysDad 08-08-2011 12:48 PM

Live foods are a logical extension of the hobby/obsession, but I agree, unnecessary for most healthy stock. You might invest in frozen treats like Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms, Daphnia...

I also agree that having at least 3 different kinds of flake food and/or other is a good idea to provide a better balance of nutrition. I also feed fry frozen baby brine shrimp (I used to hatch brine shrimp back in the day, but thawing frozen prepared is sooo much easier ;-) )