Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Female Kribensis dead (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/female-kribensis-dead-77332/)

noodle1123 08-07-2011 12:12 PM

Female Kribensis dead

I bought a pair of kribensis 2 days ago.
Once introduced in the tank, they slowly got used to the other fishes and their surroundings, and got on fine with the other fishes.
In my tank the fish have lots of places to hide, mostly flower pots and live plants. The PH is at 7.6 and the temperature at about 26*C.
The female set herself in and just stayed in the hiding places not moving, but when the male saw her he quickly kipped at her and chased her off. He did it every single time he found her, minding her own business. The next morning I look to see how they are, hoping that the male kribensis calmed down, but I found the female dead :cry:.
Would it be because in the tank in the shop where I bought them, other kribensis were present, and the male may have in fact have been separated from another female it "fancied":|

BarbH 08-07-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle1123 (Post 770873)
I bought a pair of kribensis 2 days ago.
Once introduced in the tank, they slowly got used to the other fishes and their surroundings, and got on fine with the other fishes.
In my tank the fish have lots of places to hide, mostly flower pots and live plants. The PH is at 7.6 and the temperature at about 26*C.
The female set herself in and just stayed in the hiding places not moving, but when the male saw her he quickly kipped at her and chased her off. He did it every single time he found her, minding her own business. The next morning I look to see how they are, hoping that the male kribensis calmed down, but I found the female dead :cry:.
Would it be because in the tank in the shop where I bought them, other kribensis were present, and the male may have in fact have been separated from another female it "fancied":|

Hello and welcome to TFK :-D What is the size of the tank that you put them into and how long has it been running? Do you know what they water parameters are level of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

rrcoolj 08-07-2011 12:32 PM

Sorry for your loss. They might not have been an actual compatible pair. Often people will sell cichlids as a "pair" when really they are just a random male and female. A true pair will be compatible with eachother and will have chosen eachother from a larger group.

noodle1123 08-07-2011 12:42 PM

My tank is 107 litres of water, which in american gallons is about 27 gallons. I don't have any kit to measure amonnia or nitrite or nitrate levels :oops:

Otherwise yeah maybe they weren't made for each other. I only got one pair because they were 8 euros each :shock:
Otherwise I would probably have got two to make sure they got together nicely :|
I'm just pi**ed off (I'm sorry for cursing :oops:) that she died, I just found they both looked so awesome and evil :twisted: , they were beautys.

BarbH 08-07-2011 01:04 PM

It is a possible that they were ill suited for each other. As soon as you are able I would suggest in investing in a liquid test kit, the strip tests are not as realiable. If this is a new set up you may also be going through the cycling process. If you are not familiar with the cycling process this is a good article to read http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...91/#post757735 Sorry for the loss of your female.

rrcoolj 08-07-2011 03:42 PM

It was probably an incompatible pair. Next time you try I would get 6 juvies and grow them out and wait for a pair to form. That will ensure you get a compatible pair.

noodle1123 08-07-2011 04:36 PM

Im limited on budget, 8 euros apiece, so a proper test kit or a large number of kribensis will be a problem, i'll see what i can do. Do they only become territorial during brooding season or are they always territorial? Because my male keeps on changing cave/hideout.
I did a full clean out of my tank the other day, so maybe I'm still in this chemical cycle. Thanks for the link, being a scientific person, I learned a lot:-). I'm hopefully going to start studying marine biology at university this year so it was nice reading that article. The reason why I started a biological tank with live plants during the holidays was to force myself to dig deeper into the subject, and I have learned a lot recently :-D.
I don't think the chemical, bacterial cycle is the problem since my other fishes are fine, in fact my black phantom tetras were breeding straight off after the cleanout, but they ate the eggs afterwards :lol: it was great fun watching them chase each other :-).
I personally would probably go for the bad couple idea.

rrcoolj 08-07-2011 06:22 PM

What do you mean by "clean out the tank"? You should never completely clean out a fish tank like take everything out and scrub it because you can destroy beneficial bacteria. A partial water change, substrate siphoning, clean mechanical media, and maybe even scrubbing the decor and that is pretty much it.

Anyway I would invest in a test kit because it is one of the basic necessities of keeping fish. You can buy compatible pairs but they usually are not cheap and you have to get them from a reliable source. How long has the tank been running and what are currently in it besides the phantom tetras?

noodle1123 08-08-2011 03:43 AM

I changed about 75 percent of the water and gave the gravel a good rinse, would that destroy good bacteria? :|
It would obviously have destroyed a large amount of bacteria, but a good enough amount should have stayed right? I'm still an amateur :roll:

rrcoolj 08-08-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle1123 (Post 772550)
I changed about 75 percent of the water and gave the gravel a good rinse, would that destroy good bacteria? :|
It would obviously have destroyed a large amount of bacteria, but a good enough amount should have stayed right? I'm still an amateur :roll:

You mean you took the gravel out and rinsed it? You really shouldn't do that because it destroy's beneficial bacteria. Next time just siphon the gravel. Unless you have great bio filtration then you might experience an ammonia spike which is not good. What kind of filtration do you have by the way?