Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   I dont get this at all..... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/i-dont-get-all-77307/)

Snappyarcher 08-07-2011 04:16 AM

I dont get this at all.....

Why cant new members contribute to the picture of the month competition? it seems to say that i need to have made 25 posts in order to do this? Seems a good way of diluting the value of the posts to me because a lot of people who want to contribute will just post any old post in order to be able to contribute! Simalarly why restrict the use of the chat function? Why deprive members of the ability to discuss issues they have that may solved quicker than through the normal forums?

Beaches 08-07-2011 06:49 AM

I know it may seem unfair, but I think the reasoning behind those rules are to try and make sure that spammers/trolls don't get in, start posting and spoil it for everyone else. Usually by the 25 post mark (just a round figure I guess), you know if someone is legit, truly interested and also hopefully intends on staying around for a while.

Could be wrong of course!

Romad 08-07-2011 07:18 AM

Beaches is right. You wouldn't believe the number of trolls and spammers we get here on an almost daily basis. We just want to verify that you're a contributing member of the forum and the only way to tell that is if your posts make sense or ask relevant questions.

There's plenty of time to enter the Aug. photo of the month contest and you'll be up to the min. number of posts in no time.

And no one ever uses chat but we'd love them to. There are threads that have thousand and thousands of posts in them that would normally be just chatting.

I hope that answers your question. Welcome to TFK :)

Mikaila31 08-07-2011 01:25 PM

The mods here are lazy. So they have the 25 post limit to unlock certain privileges. Yeah the chat on this site is unfortunate. People rarely use it. I resort to using another site for chatting about fish. It is probably the most helpful feature a site has. Its a shame no one uses it.

Romad 08-07-2011 02:05 PM

Thanks Mikaila.

It's nice to see that the work we do to keep this forum running smoothly is appreciated.

dramaqueen 08-07-2011 02:14 PM

Yeah, thanks for the compliment. I'm feeling so appreciated right now. :)

Mikaila31 08-07-2011 02:59 PM

np

ladayen 08-07-2011 03:14 PM

Honestly I like having posts rather then chat. It's better to be able to have other people verify whats being said is accurate. If you really want to get a picture submitted for August contest go stop by in the new members section and say welcome to everyone :) or you can just get involved in discussions. It's a great way to learn as well as help people.

The lack of spam here is quite appreciated :) The mods do a good job. I doubt the mods get paid much if anything, so anything they can do to limit the time spent deleting and such is more time they can spend helping others. Well except that Byron guy.. I'm not sure about him :P (just to clarify.. that is a joke lol. I know text doesn't convey emotion and sarcasm well)

Oldfishlady 08-07-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dramaqueen (Post 771052)
Yeah, thanks for the compliment. I'm feeling so appreciated right now. :)

Wow...I second that dramaqueen......we don't get paid for this by the way.........we do it for the love of the hobby.....

dramaqueen 08-07-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfishlady (Post 771285)
Wow...I second that dramaqueen......we don't get paid for this by the way.........we do it for the love of the hobby.....

+1. We work pretty hard keeping trolls and spammers off of here as well as do other things to keep this forum a nice place to come to to discuss our passion for fish.