Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   hello everyone just wanted to tell you to be careful with your Cryptocorynes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/hello-everyone-just-wanted-tell-you-77222/)

leogtr 08-06-2011 01:16 PM

hello everyone just wanted to tell you to be careful with your Cryptocorynes
 
I had my second Crypt melt over two months ago and many of them did not come back from the dead.

Watch out with your liquid fertilizers, temperature and water conditions. Everything needs to be very stable.

thank you and have a nice day:)

Mikaila31 08-07-2011 01:15 PM

I'm not sure why exactly. But I've never experienced crypt melt. I don't keep anything stable either. I just moved my 55 gallon from my house to my apartment. It has a couple dozen crypts. All were uprooted bagged and replanted. In total I've lost maybe a few leaves amongst all of them. There is a considerable difference in water conditions too. I did a water change the other day that dropped the temp from 84 down to 80 for a while.

leogtr 08-07-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 770994)
I'm not sure why exactly. But I've never experienced crypt melt. I don't keep anything stable either. I just moved my 55 gallon from my house to my apartment. It has a couple dozen crypts. All were uprooted bagged and replanted. In total I've lost maybe a few leaves amongst all of them. There is a considerable difference in water conditions too. I did a water change the other day that dropped the temp from 84 down to 80 for a while.

oh really? I'm 100 percent sure it was because I added a little more than half of Seachem's Comprehensive...last time it was because I added more than the usual amount too..

Mikaila31 08-07-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leogtr (Post 771058)
oh really? I'm 100 percent sure it was because I added a little more than half of Seachem's Comprehensive...last time it was because I added more than the usual amount too..

stange with all the random inconsistent EI dosing I do you think they would hate me too:-?.

SinCrisis 08-07-2011 03:18 PM

mine just all recently melted from the heat and many have not come back. Its the first time ive ever experienced a crypt melt where all the crypts failed at once. It may not just be from fertilization. They're just very sensitive plants when it comes to changing water conditions.

leogtr 08-07-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 771173)
mine just all recently melted from the heat and many have not come back. Its the first time ive ever experienced a crypt melt where all the crypts failed at once. It may not just be from fertilization. They're just very sensitive plants when it comes to changing water conditions.

yeah its sad I had them all over the place and now I only have just a few little strong ones left..

Byron 08-08-2011 10:30 AM

I had an experience similar to Mikaila. When I moved in 2000, I had extensive "lawns" of crypts in both large tanks, and the plants were pulled up and moved in a spare tank with just enough water to cover them. They got cold on the truck. The following day, I set up the tanks again and planted them. To my surprise, they did not melt.

A year later, the water board started raising the pH of the tap water by adding some sort of ash [can never remember the name]. The hardness did not change, it is (and was) < 1 dGH. But the pH shifted from around 6 to 7. I was unaware, and did my usual 50% water change on the Sunday after this. By Tuesday, every crypt in both tanks was a pile of mush, completely. They never did fully recover; some did, feebly. After several months with no sign of leaves, I pulled them out, the roots were basically gone too.

More recently, I have moved my present crypts from one tank to another, same water conditions, and they completely melt and new leaves generate usually within a week or two. When I last moved some C. undulata to another tank, they did not melt; but my C. pontederiifolia went to mush. I have had to move this plant twice since, and this last time it is not recovering at all, so far. Too much I guess.

Byron.

leogtr 08-08-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 772783)
I had an experience similar to Mikaila. When I moved in 2000, I had extensive "lawns" of crypts in both large tanks, and the plants were pulled up and moved in a spare tank with just enough water to cover them. They got cold on the truck. The following day, I set up the tanks again and planted them. To my surprise, they did not melt.

A year later, the water board started raising the pH of the tap water by adding some sort of ash [can never remember the name]. The hardness did not change, it is (and was) < 1 dGH. But the pH shifted from around 6 to 7. I was unaware, and did my usual 50% water change on the Sunday after this. By Tuesday, every crypt in both tanks was a pile of mush, completely. They never did fully recover; some did, feebly. After several months with no sign of leaves, I pulled them out, the roots were basically gone too.

More recently, I have moved my present crypts from one tank to another, same water conditions, and they completely melt and new leaves generate usually within a week or two. When I last moved some C. undulata to another tank, they did not melt; but my C. pontederiifolia went to mush. I have had to move this plant twice since, and this last time it is not recovering at all, so far. Too much I guess.

Byron.

its a shame that their so sensitive I had them kind of like "lawns" too but oh well. How often do you do your water changes?

Byron 08-08-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leogtr (Post 772872)
its a shame that their so sensitive I had them kind of like "lawns" too but oh well. How often do you do your water changes?

Every week, without fail, I change 50% of the tanks, sometimes more. This can affect crypts if the parameters are significantly different, but mine are not, and I have never had issues with water changes except that one time when the water supply pH changed drastically.

redchigh 08-09-2011 03:10 PM

Crypts are so bizarre... I moved a crypt some crypts to a dry start tank, and only one lost it's leaves... Three weeks later I added a few cups of water, and the two other ones melted, and came back.

Looks like my crypt moehlmannii is getting ready to flower though, so I might have to postpone filling the tank and switching it to brackish.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2