Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Narrowing down my tetra choices (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/narrowing-down-my-tetra-choices-77210/)

Kelley 08-06-2011 10:39 AM

Narrowing down my tetra choices

I was planning on keeping White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but I do not think I can keep my water cool enough for them. So I am trying to decide on a tetra for my 37 gallon tank. My water is rather hard so I am trying to find one that would be suitable.

I was wondering if anyone had kept Flame tetras and could tell me if the males "joust" like the males of the Lemon tetra. I was thinking about either Flame tetras or glowlights with a blue Gourami.

Another tetra that caught my eye was the Silvertip. I have heard about aggression/nipping problems with these guys so I would not keep the Gourami with them. But was not sure if their aggression is more like the seprae tetras or mock battles like the Lemons.

Also on the Gourami, I know that males are aggressive so I would not have more than one male. But should I have a male and a female or two females. Or will one Gourami be ok by himself?

I would love to hear from anyone that has kept these fish.

Snappyarcher 08-06-2011 01:35 PM

Ok first to the Gourami.... contrary to popular belief Gouramis do not get lonely! Some infact are better by themselves and enjoy a solitary life with just a few dither fish such as tetras or barbs.
Secondly, throughout the tetra family there is a lot less jousting than with the barb family and this can make your job a bit easier, I personally have 10 Rummy nose tetras and ten Cardinal tetras in with 4 Gouramis, two of which are blue and both male and two of which are golden and one male one female. I would also say that if you choose to have more than one Gourami then some of the territorialism is reduced by having more of the smaller fish in with them.

redchigh 08-06-2011 02:09 PM

Rasboras are actually a better fit for gourami since they are a bit more calm.

Kelley 08-06-2011 10:44 PM

Thank you for your replies. I just read about Blue Gouramis being to aggressive for glowlights so I guess I will either rule out the gourami or go with a honey gourami.

Jbrofish8 08-07-2011 09:02 AM

Glowlight tetra are actually very calm fish.

I have glowlights and my mom has harlequin rasboras. I find that my glowlights are much more sedate than her rasboras.

The glowlights are also very pretty IMO.

My blue tetra are VERY active and I would not recommend putting a fish like that with gourami, but if you like the glowlights I don't see a problem since they are such a quiet little fish.

Byron 08-07-2011 12:26 PM

Kelley, as a fairly new member (welcome to TFK by the way:-)) you may not know about our fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Info on temperament/compatibility is included for each species, and all those species so far mentioned are in the profiles. If the name is exactly the same in posts as it is in the profile (scientific or common) it will shade and you can click on it, example Blue Gourami.

Info in the profiles for the species may help you to narrow it down.

Byron.

Kelley 08-08-2011 10:08 PM

Thank you Bryon for the information and the welcome. I have read some of the profiles which have help alot. I had it narrowed down to 3 tetra choices, but then today I saw some dwarf neon rainbows that caught my eye. So for now I'll keep reading and researching.

I was able to get some of my plants planted on Saturday and I am waiting for the rest of them to come in. They were on back order, but should ship this week. I hope to get all the planting done this weekend.

I have learned a lot from this site, but I'm sure you will hear alot more from me as time goes along. It's only been 3 days and I already see algae starting to show up on the glass. No matter how much I've read, I still have so much to learn.

Best,

Kelley

Byron 08-09-2011 12:00 PM

If by three days you mean as in new tank setup, algae is common during the first few weeks because the water is fluctuating and takes time to stabilize biologically. It is imortant not to jump into "cures" for such issues, they handle themselves usually. As long as the light is not too intense or on too long, which can cause algae in any tank.

Kelley 08-09-2011 08:47 PM

Yes, it is a newly set up tank. I have 2 25 watt 6500K T-8 bulbs on it and I am leaving them on for 6 hours a day. Wasn't sure how long to leave them on, but I read some where in the beginning to start out for a short amount of time and then gradully leave them on for longer periods of time until they were on between 8 and 10 hours . I am hoping the algae is just from being a new tank and will work it's self out.

To be honest this last week setting the tank up as been anything but fun. First I couldn't get the filter to prime and was up til 1:30 googling tryng to find out what was wrong. I took it back to the LFS the next day and they were able to get it working for me. Then the next day my plants I had ordered on line came in and I picked them up on my lunch hour. When I opened the boxed I had a note saying that most of my order was on back order and would be shipped in another week. Almost all of my stem plants. On my way home that evening my car died and I didn't get home for over three hours. It is welll over 100 degrees here in Oklahoma and needless to say alot of the plants did not make it. Now I'm still having issues with the filter. I just didn't think the out put was very strong so I took it apart and put it back together and it is somewhat stronger, but now the impeller rattles. And I'm still not sure about the output level. I've only had HOB filters before so I'm not sure what the appropriate flow is for a canister filter so back to the LFS I go tomorrow. Plus the filter has been "burping" air every 30 minutes or so ever since I got it no matter how many times I tilt it.

Thank you for letting me share. Just frustrated and impatient at the moment.

Kelley 08-10-2011 07:40 AM

Things are much better this morning. Filter out put is good and gurgling from air bubbles has completely stopped. Still have the rattle but it isn't bothering me that much. And I am getting some of my plants that I lost when my car died replaced for free.