Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Throwing around ideas for additional stock... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/throwing-around-ideas-additional-stock-77175/)

LasColinasCichlids 08-06-2011 01:11 AM

Throwing around ideas for additional stock...

My 29g just seems on the less stocked side...and I was trying to brainstorm fish I could add that would fit in.
Water Parameters:
pH 6.4
hardness of 7 dKH
Temp 80F (can lower to 78-79 if needed, mostly just that hot as its over 100F outside)

Current Stock:
10 black kuhli loach
9 cherry barb
6 harlequin rasbora
1 male crowntail betta
MTS
pond snails

Enviornment:
Sand substrate
grape driftwood pieces
a fake log for hiding
all live plants (about to pull out the small swords and dwarf SAG and just leave my giant ruffled leaf lace plant, melon sword, and ruffle sword....and might add my water sprite from my other tank.... as the larger the plant the less likely my loaches are able to uproot them!!! lol)
Floating blyxa and wisteria plants
bubbler

It is VERY hard to find less than common fish species even though I live in a large metroplex, but some are available if you have a few extra hundred dollars to throw around on a small shoal. lol

I have in mind, assuming I could locate and afford...
Ember Tetra
Dwarf Pencilfish (I believe one of my LFS just got a shipment in this week, however it is at the more expensive LFS).

So... any suggestions for a small shoaling fish that could fit in?

It also cant be too flashy in color, but color is easier to deal with verses lots of fins...dont want the betta to have issues even though he is super docile and has been in a community since I got him, and different community mates at that...I have a spare 5g tank in case of emergency!!! lol

Really would like something that maxes at 1.5", but could push to 2" if a group of 6 is sustainable to them as far as behavior, security, and stress. The smaller the fish, the more I would be able to do 7-9 in a group, as I dont have that much stock room.

Just trying to brainstorm, nothing for sure yet, I like to pre-plan.

ladayen 08-06-2011 02:45 AM

I would say you're pretty much stocked. You might be able to throw in a couple more Harlequins.

Byron 08-06-2011 11:37 AM

I agree. A few more rasbora; although 6 is fine, they do seem better with more, and I would up the group to 9-11.

I might suggest some surface fish but not with the Betta.

LasColinasCichlids 08-06-2011 09:26 PM

Yeah, surface fish are out, and I dont want any more bottom dwellers either; not that the loaches take up a lot of room, but I like the simplicity the loaches give the bottom.

I have tried numerous times to up the rasbora group. I have one very large male, and he is oddly aggressive and always beats the crap out of new harlequins until they die. He doesnt bother anyone else, or any other new fish added as that arent harlequin rasbora (or close relative), just new harlequins. Makes me think he is the only male and the rest female? I dont know. If he wouldnt have killed off new rasboras, then I would have a total of 9 or 10 by now. (And his aggression happened when he was in his group in a 15g with just the betta, and he still has his issue in the 29g...he loves the barbs though!)

I dont know, I might leave it as is. Aqadvisor has my stock level at like 87%, although that doesnt matter all that much, at least its nice to know I could add a few more to what I have if Rambo the Rasbora doesnt kill them. lol

Thanks ya'll!!

Byron 08-07-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 769874)
Yeah, surface fish are out, and I dont want any more bottom dwellers either; not that the loaches take up a lot of room, but I like the simplicity the loaches give the bottom.

I have tried numerous times to up the rasbora group. I have one very large male, and he is oddly aggressive and always beats the crap out of new harlequins until they die. He doesnt bother anyone else, or any other new fish added as that arent harlequin rasbora (or close relative), just new harlequins. Makes me think he is the only male and the rest female? I dont know. If he wouldnt have killed off new rasboras, then I would have a total of 9 or 10 by now. (And his aggression happened when he was in his group in a 15g with just the betta, and he still has his issue in the 29g...he loves the barbs though!)

I dont know, I might leave it as is. Aqadvisor has my stock level at like 87%, although that doesnt matter all that much, at least its nice to know I could add a few more to what I have if Rambo the Rasbora doesnt kill them. lol

Thanks ya'll!!

That is strange behaviour for a Harlequin. Are there indications the others are females, in their interactions with "him"?

LasColinasCichlids 08-07-2011 10:19 PM

To be honest, I havent paid too much attention lately. I do know at least 2 are females as they laid eggs many months ago, but the eggs were ate by bottom dwellers.

Yeah, I thought it to be extremely odd behavior as well... I had gotten these rasboras for their calm nature to be paired with my betta. Although this particular rasbora is cool with my betta and all other tankmates, so I have no clue.