Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Dividing a 20 Gallon Long (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dividing-20-gallon-long-77149/)

stevenjohn21 08-05-2011 06:59 PM

Dividing a 20 Gallon Long

I have a 20 gallon long tank which i have decided to divide and get ready for the best looking Betta's once they get older (3 week old fry right now) I will be using the DIY way to divide the tank by using plastic mesh sold at craft stores so my 1st question is how many times could i divide the tank ?

For filtration im going to use a Marineland Penguin power sponge filter rated 170gph. I was thinking of putting the powerhead/sponge on one side of the tank and attaching plastic tubing to the outlet which would dump the water out on the opposite side of the tank. My 2nd question is would this work ? Would the powerhead be strong enough to push the water thru the tubing to the other side ? My plan was to place a heater in the middle of the tank.
Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Calmwaters 08-05-2011 07:03 PM

What kind of fish will be going into the tank? Sorry I am sure theres a post here some where about it but I have been away for a while and am unfamilar with your tanks.

stevenjohn21 08-05-2011 07:18 PM

Sorry i thought i had wrote it above, i just edited it. Im going to be keeping Betta's

Calmwaters 08-05-2011 07:35 PM

I have a 20 long and before I had it divided in 4 and it worked well I had two small sponge filters one on each side.

stevenjohn21 08-05-2011 07:49 PM

I was hoping i could give each fish 3 gallons so i could keep 6-7 fish.

Calmwaters 08-05-2011 08:52 PM

You could do it that way to and I am sure it will be fine I only had 4 bettas and liked them haveing 5 gallons each. A member on the betta side made dividers out of plexiglass and it looked much better than the mesh ones. Her user name is ChristinaRoss you could search her post I belive and be able to find her instructions.

zof 08-06-2011 12:36 PM

With bettas I would think you would want to skip the HOB or power heads due to them liking pretty still water, I think 6 would be a good number to aim for since you could divide it twice in width and once in length to get pretty good size pens. I like the double sponge filter idea, should keep the water moving even if relatively slow.

ladayen 08-06-2011 02:44 PM

I would encourage you stick with 4, but either way dont do more then 6, divided as Zof said.

stevenjohn21 08-06-2011 03:24 PM

6 bettas would have just over 3 gallons of water which is enough right ?

ladayen 08-06-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 769397)
6 bettas would have just over 3 gallons of water which is enough right ?

Depending on who you talk to. I would say no. Although many do keep Bettas in that or less. Again I really encourage 5g per betta.