Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First Timer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-timer-771/)

tommysgirl 10-08-2006 04:46 PM

First Timer

I just bought a 10 gal (first tank) and I would like to know how many & what type of fish should I put in it? Tank is freshwater, and I would like visually stimulating fish. Also I was told to add water conditioner every time I add a fish, is this nessesary and if so how much? Thank You & Looking forward to all replys!! :D

Lupin 10-08-2006 05:11 PM

Hi and welcome aboard, tommysgirl.:wave:

You have to cycle the tank first before you can put any fish in your 10 gallons tank.
Dechlorinator is the only chemical I'd use. Water conditioners may not really work along with other chemicals.

crazie.eddie 10-08-2006 07:17 PM

Common water conditioners people add are dechlorinators, as what Blue mentioned. Most water suppliers add chlorine/chloramine to their water supply to kill bacteria. Chlorine/chloramine is harmful to fish. Chlorine can easily be removed if the water is aged, by means of storing water in a container and using a powerhead/pump to agitate the water. Chlorine will then disipitate. Unfortunately, the only way to remove chloramine is using a dechlorinator, which bonds with the chlorine molecules. The unfortunate by product is ammonia (chlorine + ammonia = chloramine). There are other products, such as Seachem Prime, that also bonds with the ammonia. Some dechlorinators also help in aiding the slime coat on fish.

Regarding the fish, visit the LFS (local fish store) or LPS (local pet stores) and look at their fish and see what appeals to you. List down the names of the fish and then do some research as far as compability and habitat. Often, the info on the fish at these stores are incorrect regarding max size and compability.

tommysgirl 10-08-2006 09:43 PM

Thanks to all

Thank you all for replying to my post, all info was very helpfull! If any of you have any more info you think I might be able to use, please feel free!!!!!!!!! TY again looking forward to all posts!! :yourock: :thankyou:

Rebecca 10-09-2006 12:54 AM

As water conditioner can be a little expensive, one method of getting the chlorine out (at least until you get conditioner; I wouldn't recommend this once you have fish) is to leave the hood open and allow water to evaporate over the course of a few days. Most of the chlorine will evaporate out this way. However, this probably wouldn't be a good idea once you have fish because it takes a few days for the chlorine to leave. So if you're doing a fishless cycle, and you have no conditioner, then that's a technique you can use. Still, if you do this, I would add conditioner before you add fish, just to be on the safe side. :D

Welcome to the team!

Lupin 10-09-2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuppyGirl101
As water conditioner can be a little expensive, one method of getting the chlorine out (at least until you get conditioner; I wouldn't recommend this once you have fish) is to leave the hood open and allow water to evaporate over the course of a few days. Most of the chlorine will evaporate out this way. However, this probably wouldn't be a good idea once you have fish because it takes a few days for the chlorine to leave. So if you're doing a fishless cycle, and you have no conditioner, then that's a technique you can use. Still, if you do this, I would add conditioner before you add fish, just to be on the safe side. :D

Welcome to the team!

Not in the tank at the very least. The bacteria in your tank will be killed thus you are forced to cycle the tank again.
Do it in a pail and let it stay for 24 hours or overnight. Chlorine is a gas so it should be removed by the stand-off.:wink2:
This method will not remove chloramine however so it's best to search for dechlorinators that can eliminate chloramine.

Rebecca 10-09-2006 01:19 AM

Yeah I actually did this before I had an established bacteria, like when I first got my tank and had just filled it with water. I didn't have any conditioner yet since I was totally an amateur. :) However once I got stuff living in there I had conditioner by that time; I would use the evaporation method only in cases where you have nothing living to kill.