Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   How many Oscars in a 110 High? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/how-many-oscars-110-high-7703/)

tophat665 08-20-2007 10:37 PM

How many Oscars in a 110 High?

Can one get away with 2 Oscars in a 110, or is that pushing it? How about an Oscar and a Jack? Is there any catfish one could add to this? A pleco of some sort (maybe even a common one). A Raphael cat or 3?

Also, Oscars and Plants? Do they mix? Say, some big ol' swords, and a large driftwood covered with Java Fern and Java Moss?

The wife has given the tentative go ahead for matching 110's on either side of the TV in the living room, and and Oscar or 2 might be the very thing for one of them.

Lupin 08-20-2007 10:54 PM

Re: How many Oscars in a 110 High?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Can one get away with 2 Oscars in a 110, or is that pushing it? How about an Oscar and a Jack? Is there any catfish one could add to this? A pleco of some sort (maybe even a common one). A Raphael cat or 3?

What are the dimensions, Tophat?:) I was thinking doradids like the Raphael catfish would be the best choice because of their serrated spines.
Quote:

Also, Oscars and Plants? Do they mix? Say, some big ol' swords, and a large driftwood covered with Java Fern and Java Moss?
None of the plants will really work. Oscars will only destroy them.:(
Quote:

The wife has given the tentative go ahead for matching 110's on either side of the TV in the living room, and and Oscar or 2 might be the very thing for one of them.
Sounds fun.:mrgreen:

dreesa 08-20-2007 11:06 PM

There would be no problems at all with two oscars in a 110. If anything you would see a little sparing between them, but oscars hardly ever fight to kill. An oscar killing something is usually associated with trying to eat it. The cats would be fine, however i would stick with one, maybe two tops. Cats are pretty territorial and like most cichlids establish territory on the bottom of the tank. So if you have more than one, they can really suck up tank space in a hurry. You could also get the jack along with the oscars, the oscars with dominate the top half of the tank, while the jack dempsey primarily sticks to the bottom. just make sure he's got a good spot to hide out. You may get some scuffling between the cat and the jack, but there both really tough fish. You're best of not using plants with the oscars. When they get big they terrorize plants. floating plants are great with oscars, this would mimmic a natural hiding spot for them. Driftwood is the best thing you could use to decorate the tank, large chunks and also branches or roots look really cool. Hope this helps, and good luck. You setup should turn out really cool.

dreesa 08-20-2007 11:10 PM

There would be no problems at all with two oscars in a 110. If anything you would see a little sparing between them, but oscars hardly ever fight to kill. An oscar killing something is usually associated with trying to eat it. The cats would be fine, however i would stick with one, maybe two tops. Cats are pretty territorial and like most cichlids establish territory on the bottom of the tank. So if you have more than one, they can really suck up tank space in a hurry. You could also get the jack along with the oscars, the oscars with dominate the top half of the tank, while the jack dempsey primarily sticks to the bottom. just make sure he's got a good spot to hide out. You may get some scuffling between the cat and the jack, but there both really tough fish. You're best of not using plants with the oscars. When they get big they terrorize plants. floating plants are great with oscars, this would mimmic a natural hiding spot for them. Driftwood is the best thing you could use to decorate the tank, large chunks and also branches or roots look really cool. Hope this helps, and good luck. You setup should turn out really cool.[/i]

Gump 08-21-2007 12:31 AM

I disagree, two full grown oscars in a 110 tall will be a tight fit. talls have a small foot print which is important for centrals. I could see a oscar and jack work.

Also i wouldn't put any fish from the doradidae family in that tank. If its small enough to live in a 110 it shouldn't be mixed with an oscar. A pleco should be fine or maybe a large synodontis cat.

tophat665 08-21-2007 09:12 PM

Would a 120 short (48x24x24) materially affect the viability of two oscars in a tank? Would it be better if I got a mated pair? Like, put six 3" Oscars in and see if two of them pair up and return the rest. (I'm normally against buying fish I know I want to return, but for the purposes of getting a viable pair, that's a different story.)

Or, if only one oscar, we know that a jack would work. What about a Giant gourami? Clown Knife? BGK? Black Shark? 3-5 clown loaches? Tire track eel?

I ask as I am in the feasibility study phase of this.

Another thought: I really like the benefits of having a planted tank, but I realize this will likely not be possible (though I will absolutely try to dress some of the driftwood up with java fern and java moss tied down with plastic thread to give it a chance unless someone tells me that they have tried this and had it fail badly). With that said, in a 120 short, would it be possible to lay egg crate as the lid for the back portion of the tank and hydroponically grow some peace lilies on the surface? How about some sort of vine? Spider plant? Anything to soak up the nitrates. The alternate is to try and get a 40 breeder or 50 gallon as a planted sump, and that seems like a big pain in the @$$ unless I can get a tank that comes with an overflow and sump set up already (and that will run to $$$).

dreesa 08-21-2007 10:08 PM

Personally, from experience, I would say either tank is fine for two oscars. There is a lot of open swimming space in anything over 100 gal for oscars. Oscars spend nearly all there time, besides sleeping, in the top half of the tank. Oscars are also pretty cumbersome, and really don't dart a whole lot, so as long as the tank is wide enough for them to turn around comfortably, I think you'll have very few issues. A male and female would be an even better option, females . I am assuming that these oscars will be raised in the tank together and be roughly the same age. If they're ages are too far apart the larger will pester the heck out the smaller. I've seen 2 male oscars living peacefully in a 40 gal hex. Granted it was crowded, but the tank was tall, and the hex shape made it easy for oscars to swim around. The 125 would work fine for sure, thats what I have, and the length of the tank provides plenty of swimming space. Thats my opinion, but its your decision.

bf2king 08-21-2007 10:11 PM

that tank would be to small for a large clown knife as they commonly reach 4 ft i would try the paired oscars or an oscar and a black ghost knife just make sure the knife is big enough and it is a calm oscar (if the knife gets to aggrivated the knife will kill the oscar or visa versa) But i do like jacks so i am torn sry not to be of more help. :?

bf2king 08-21-2007 10:13 PM

u could also try tin foil barbs with an oscar as they are schooling fish, grow fast, and a rather large fish as well as being tall but again there really couldnt be many plants.

Lupin 08-21-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bf2king
u could also try tin foil barbs with an oscar as they are schooling fish, grow fast, and a rather large fish as well as being tall but again there really couldnt be many plants.

A 4-ft tank does not provide sufficient space for adult tinfoil barbs.