Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Babys (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/babys-77023/)

mattfishgeek 08-04-2011 12:49 PM

Babys

Hey guys im soooooo excited. got home today and found that i have 23 baby tiger stripe melano guppys. Its amazing

BarbH 08-04-2011 12:56 PM

Congrats on the new babies, it is exciting when they are born, and amazing how small they are. My platy fry that were born two weeks ago tommorrow have already grown so much, and yet they are still so small. It is interesting to watch them grow.

SeaHorse 08-04-2011 08:51 PM

Yeah for babies!! I have 5 Callico Molly babies. A fin with eyeballs. lol so cute!! I had to move them to the nursery, mom ate one! and she is trying hard to get in there and eat the rest. Do Guppies eat their own fry?

mcnb 08-04-2011 09:15 PM

congrats post pics

julem35 08-08-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 766840)
Yeah for babies!! I have 5 Callico Molly babies. A fin with eyeballs. lol so cute!! I had to move them to the nursery, mom ate one! and she is trying hard to get in there and eat the rest. Do Guppies eat their own fry?

YES. if you want to save some, i would recommend moving them to a separate tank. I keep my guppy(and soon platy) fry in and 8 gallon. Good luck!:-)

mattfishgeek 08-09-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julem35 (Post 773786)
YES. if you want to save some, i would recommend moving them to a separate tank. I keep my guppy(and soon platy) fry in and 8 gallon. Good luck!:-)

yeah ive got 23 tanks alltogether so well prepared lol

SeaHorse 08-09-2011 01:42 PM

Slightly addicted Mattfishgeek? LOL

ladayen 08-09-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 766840)

Just to add on to what Julem said. Most aquarium freshwater fish are from rivers. In the wild they will lay the eggs and move on. When kept in an aquarium they cant "move on" so when they see the fry they are simply a snack/future competition to be eliminated.

mattfishgeek 08-10-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 775054)
Just to add on to what Julem said. Most aquarium freshwater fish are from rivers. In the wild they will lay the eggs and move on. When kept in an aquarium they cant "move on" so when they see the fry they are simply a snack/future competition to be eliminated.

guppys are livebearers

mattfishgeek 08-10-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 774968)
Slightly addicted Mattfishgeek? LOL

lol yh totaly addited. i work with fish as a job and fill my house with them lol