Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Help with stocking my 60 gallon aquarium? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-stocking-my-60-gallon-aquarium-76966/)

Seaworld 08-03-2011 11:17 PM

Help with stocking my 60 gallon aquarium?

:-P Ok so it is a 60 gallon long, has 2 aqueon quiet flow 30 filters, a heater, 2 inches of natural gravel, fake and live plants and a tetra whisper 80 with 2 4 inch airstones hooked up. So my question is are any of these stocking options good?

Option 1:

2 threespot gourami
2 gold gourami
2 opaline gourami
5 skirt tetras
4 cory catfish
6 zebra danios

Option 2:

2 threespot gourami
2 gold gourami
2 pearl gourami
5 skirt tetras
4 cory catfish
6 zebra danios

Option 3:

2 threespot gourami
2 gold gourami
2 Pearl gourami
6 Rosy or Cherry barbs
4 cory catfish
6 zebra danios

Option 4

2 threespot gourami
2 gold gourami
2 opaline gourami
6 Rosy or Cherry barbs
4 cory catfish
6 zebra danios

So would any of those work? What changes can I make to make them work better? Do you have any ideas of your own? Thanks!

small fry 08-04-2011 12:22 AM

Hello. I don't have time to calculate stocking right now, but I will quickly talk about compatability.

You have to be very careful with gouramis. 3spot, Opaline, and Gold Gouramis are Trichogaster trichopterus, and they can be very, very aggressive, especially males. Some people describe these as "hit or miss", because many of them have an aggressive temperment and will destroy any fish around. This species can wipe out a community if it chooses. Use extreme caution if you decide to get any one of these Gouramis. Inspect all fish regularly for fin rips or damaged places (these are common with some Trichogaster tanks, these injuries can quickly lead to infection).

I would definately not recomend that you stock these with Pearl Gouramis, as they are fragile and much less aggressive. I also would not recomend stocking Zebra Danios with any Gourami, reguardless of species, as Gouramis are slow-moving and will become stressed by the hyperactive Danios.

Corydoras are generally Ok and left alone by many other species of fish. In larger tanks I like to see these guys in larger groups, as they are a shoaling species. As with any shoaling species, the minimum number is *bare* minimum (bare min for corydoras is 4), but they will flourish more effectively in larger groups, just as long as it isn't effecting the water quality.

Black Skirt Tetras look great in groups of 7 or 8. These are one of the largest species of Tetra (behind Bleeding Heart and afew others), making them less likely to be assalted by an angry Gourami. Still, you have to use extreme caution.

So maybe that will give you something to think about and plan with. I hope this helps. :-)

small fry,

Byron 08-04-2011 12:34 AM

To smallfry's suggestions, I would just add a caution on the Black Skirt Tetra [we used the common name Black Widow Tetra for our profile, so you can click that for info] as these are frequently very nippy with sedate fish. I would not mix them with gourami (or angels, etc).

Byron.

small fry 08-04-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 765460)
To smallfry's suggestions, I would just add a caution on the Black Skirt Tetra [we used the common name Black Widow Tetra for our profile, so you can click that for info] as these are frequently very nippy with sedate fish. I would not mix them with gourami (or angels, etc).

Byron.

Very good point! I forgot to point that out. Thanks Byron! :-)

Seaworld 08-04-2011 02:06 AM

Oh wow I didn't realize I had so many problems! Thanks for warning me :) Is there any way I can still have the gold gourami and three spot?
Posted via Mobile Device

small fry 08-04-2011 07:34 AM

They are both the same species. You will probably be best getting a trio. 1m, 2f. There is still a chance of aggression no matter how you play it, though.

BarbH 08-04-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaworld (Post 765565)
Oh wow I didn't realize I had so many problems! Thanks for warning me :) Is there any way I can still have the gold gourami and three spot?
Posted via Mobile Device

As smallfry has said, the three spot and gold are the same thing. From the list that you had you would be okay with doing the corys, a group of at least 6, although you would have the room to be able to do more, I am thinking about maybe 12-15. Someone else can verify if that number would be okay. Also if you decide to do dfferent species of corys, than at least 3 of a species. But you do have the room to be able to do a group of 6 of two different species.

Seaworld 08-04-2011 10:40 AM

Oh ok so if I do a trio of gourami and 6 Cory catfish can I add any type of schooling fish?

And is there a possible way to add a pearl gourami
Posted via Mobile Device

Calmwaters 08-04-2011 11:09 AM

I would not put a pearl gourami in with the other gourami. As for other fish I would suggest Golden Barb or Black Ruby Barb they are both very pretty and I have the goldens and they are alot of fun to watch and do not both any of the other fish.

Quantum 08-04-2011 11:14 AM

Maybe a little more info regarding what you hope to accomplish with your tank and why you chose the fish you listed would allow others to give more suggestions.

If it is general community tank including gouramis that you want, there seems to be options other than Trichogaster trichopterus. After doing a little research (I haven't kept them personally), it looks like Pearl Gouramis would be a good choice to build your tank around. Others gouramis recommended for community tanks are Honey Gouramis and Thick-lipped Gouramis. Not sure if it is advisable to keep all together, but with a 60 gal aquarium, it may be possible. Maybe the others can chime in regarding stocking numbers and compatibility.

The Cherry Barbs seem like they would work, but maybe look a Harlequin rasboras as an alternative. Either way get more than 6, you have the space.

You listed Zebra danios in each of your stocking options, but as smallfry said, they aren't the best choice as gourami tankmates. If you liked them because of their elongated, stream-lined shape and horizontal stipes, maybe consider some of the other rasboras as an alternative. Red-tailed Rasbora/Brilliant Rasbora (Rasbora borapetensis) looks like a good option. Agian, a group of more than six should be kept (looks like 8-10 minimum is rcommended for this species).