Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   75 Gallon Stocking Suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/75-gallon-stocking-suggestions-76922/)

SmokeNLark 08-03-2011 04:07 PM

75 Gallon Stocking Suggestions

I have a 75 gallon in my future. I was just wondering what people here had stocked in their 75s or if any one had any suggestions. It's going to be a couple years before I get this tank. But I want to start planning it and researching it now. I currently have a 10 and a 29 gallon, in addition to smaller betta tanks.

So far, I would like to include a bristlenose pleco, a rainbow shark, and some rainbow fish. Those are the 3 that I'd like the most. Other options that I'd like include silver dollars, zebra danios, tiger barbs, angel fish and a kind of tetra. I have already found some compatability issues, like tiger barbs are too aggressive for tetras and they may nip angelfish.

Any other suggestions, tips or just saying what your 75 gallon has would be wonderful! :)

Calmwaters 08-03-2011 05:28 PM

If I had a 75 gallon I would go with 6-8 different color angels definatly blacks, and koi colored ones as they are my favorites. I would also be sure to get a 75 gallon long tank. I have a 55 gallon long right now and plan on adding angels at a later date but right now I have blue neons and black neons that I love and do not want to take the chance that the angels would see them as food when they grow up.
Also wanted to say I like your avitar I use to have horses and still love them but currently don't own any.

SmokeNLark 08-03-2011 08:17 PM

I do like angels a lot. I don't think I would want that many though. There are awesome colors though.

I'll take the long into consideration. How common are they? I got my mom to agree to get me the tank when I graduate college, and I could have bigger, but that's all my mom wants to pay. I could save up and pay the difference though. And I don't know about it only being 13 inches high.

And thanks. :) Those are my horses in it. I don't know what I'd do without horses. They are my first love. haha

Calmwaters 08-03-2011 08:21 PM

Have you thought about cichlids? Do you like big or small fish? If you like small fish you could always do several groups of shoaling fish like neon tetras, black tetras, harliquin rasbora, and corys just to name a few. This is the way my 55 is set up and I really like the way it look.

SmokeNLark 08-03-2011 08:27 PM

I have, I should probably think about them more though. Idk why I haven't really considered them.

Calmwaters 08-03-2011 08:41 PM

I had thought about cichlids for my 55 but I really like my real plants so I could not do cichlids. My 3 favorites that I thought about doing are the electric yellow labs, acei cichlid, and the orange zebra cichlid I thought they would be very pretty swimming in a large tank together.

SmokeNLark 08-03-2011 08:43 PM

Yeah they would. I think that's why I haven't really considered them. I love live plants, and to me, A tank that big needs live plants (in my mind, lol) I also want a few different species.

Calmwaters 08-03-2011 08:50 PM

LOL I agree well good luck with what ever you decide to go with I am sure it will be beautiful and its great that you are planning ahead of time.

SmokeNLark 08-03-2011 08:59 PM

Thanks. :) I'm one to change my mind a million times, so I want to know what I want to do before I do it. lol

Byron 08-04-2011 12:25 AM

Another thought is a more-specialized tank in terms of the aquascape. There are several options.

A biotope tank is one with the fish and plants, and the hardscaping like substrate, wood, rock, replicating a specific stream, lake or general area.

A geographic tank is a bit more "relaxed" than the biotope, where all the fish and plants occur in the same geographic area though not necessarily the same stream, etc. This type gives more latitude for variety in fish and plants. Hardscaping should still be true to the area. I have a 70g Flooded Amazon Forest tank, and a 115g Amazonian Stream tank. Fish and plants are native to Amazonia, though they would never all be found together there. This type of tank also has to take into account the fish's needs respecting water movement, light, etc., as these conditions vary greatly between flooded forest, rippling stream, shallow lagoon, etc.

The habitat tank is one where it replicates a stream, river, lake, lagoon, pond or swamp; all fish and plants would naturally occur in that habitat, though they might come from different geographical regions. I have a "stream habitat" 90g, with stream fish from Africa, South America and SE Asia, and a mix of plants from SA and SE Asia. One benefit of this is providing all the fish with a natural environment in terms of water movement, substrate, hardscape. Fish that live mainly in ponds for example will have identical requirements in these areas, regardless of whether they live in Africa, Amazonia or Asia. A stream habitat with rainbowfish would be one possibility, since you mention rainbowfish, and other fish could include some medium-sized loaches, or Amazonian catfish, some smaller shoaling fish from the characins, rasbora, danio, etc.

Byron.