Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Guppy and Platy Problem Help Fast (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/guppy-platy-problem-help-fast-76905/)

Mapboy 08-03-2011 12:52 PM

Guppy and Platy Problem Help Fast

Hello,
My one platy in my 10 gallon tank is always chasing around my 2 guppies.
I do not know their gender, but I thought they were all male...
The problem is, now my one red guppy is just laying on the bottom of the tank, and now is laying inside of a fake plant. He is not dead, but looks exhausted...

What would you guys recommend doing?
Should I create more cover in my tank? I have two little caves at the bottom, but only my gourami goes in there.

How would I create cover at the top of the tank where the guppies swim?

My tank consists of 2 guppies, one platy, one dwarf gourami, and 3 rasboras.
Thanks, and hurry please,

BarbH 08-03-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapboy (Post 764193)
Hello,
My one platy in my 10 gallon tank is always chasing around my 2 guppies.
I do not know their gender, but I thought they were all male...
The problem is, now my one red guppy is just laying on the bottom of the tank, and now is laying inside of a fake plant. He is not dead, but looks exhausted...

What would you guys recommend doing?
Should I create more cover in my tank? I have two little caves at the bottom, but only my gourami goes in there.

How would I create cover at the top of the tank where the guppies swim?

My tank consists of 2 guppies, one platy, one dwarf gourami, and 3 rasboras.
Thanks, and hurry please,

To tell the difference between male and female livebearers look at the anal fin on the fish. The male's anal fin will look spikey, while the females has a triangular shape to it. For creating cover at the top you can use floating plants, live or fake, if using fake you will want the ones that do not have the weighted bottoms, or you can even remove the bottom from the plant so that it can float in the tank. With my platys I have noticed that one of their favorite resting places is actually in my wisteria, and it is not unusal especially at night to see at least one or two resting in the plant on the leaves. I have also noticed with my two male platys that my larger male will chase the smaller male away from the females that he has decided to take an interest in. If your platy is larger than than the guppys it might be a dominance/aggressiveness issue. By providing plants or fake plants throughout the tank it can help to break up the line of sight of the fish.

Mapboy 08-04-2011 10:28 AM

Thank you,
I decided yesterday to take the platy out and place it in a 1 gallon tank to fix the problem for the moment.
What kind of floating plants would you suggest?
Do they float at the top? or are there some that would float mid level?
Thanks

BarbH 08-04-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapboy (Post 765811)
Thank you,
I decided yesterday to take the platy out and place it in a 1 gallon tank to fix the problem for the moment.
What kind of floating plants would you suggest?
Do they float at the top? or are there some that would float mid level?
Thanks

Depends on if you want to do real or fake, for real plants I would suggest something like watersprite or people even use pennywort. I even have some wisteria floating in my 5 gallon. If you decide to do fake plants I would suggest using fake plants, the plastic ones. With the platy in the one gallon tank you are probably going to be needing to change water at least daily if not more. Platys produce alot of waste and ammonia can build up in a tank that small very quickly, especially if it has not been cycled.