Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Any fish that can't live with java fern? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/any-fish-cant-live-java-fern-76803/)

tf1265 08-02-2011 03:25 PM

Any fish that can't live with java fern?

Are there any tropical community fish that can't/shouldn't be in a tank with java fern? I just got some, and haven't planted it yet because I want to make sure that it won't harm my fish.

Right now I'm in a re-stocking phase, so all I have are neon tetras, a mystery snail, and a couple different species of cory catfish. Are all of these OK with java fern?

Since I plan to be stocking more species, if there are any tropical community fish that I SHOULDN'T put in a tank with the java fern, I'd love to hear them now so I don't accidentally do any harm.

I haven't found anything indicating that it can be harmful, but it's usually not until after I make the mistake that I discover the information that could have prevented it :(

Thanks for the help!

Inga 08-02-2011 04:29 PM

Yes the fish you have should be just fine. I have never heard of any that cannot be with Java Fern but maybe someone else has. I would suspect the only issue would be fish that nibble the plant to death.

tf1265 08-02-2011 04:31 PM

OK good, I thought so. I just wanted to double check to make sure I didn't so something really stupid and kill fish because I didn't think to check. And to be honest, I'm far more concerned about killing fish than I am about fish killing plants. I kill my own house plants every year without any help!

redchigh 08-02-2011 04:39 PM

I'm not sure there's any fish that would kill a java fern, except for african lake cichlids or crawfish...

Most 'true aquatics' are ok with any fish.

Inga 08-02-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1265 (Post 762515)
OK good, I thought so. I just wanted to double check to make sure I didn't so something really stupid and kill fish because I didn't think to check. And to be honest, I'm far more concerned about killing fish than I am about fish killing plants. I kill my own house plants every year without any help!

Ha Ha, I am right there with you. I killed several plants in the aquarium too but once they take off, you will have more then enough. Java Fern grows very slowly though. If you are looking for more of a benefit to the tank, I suggest Swords that are hardy and pretty and maybe something like Pennywort to float or you can plant a few strings of it in the substrate and float a bunch. Fish love the plant cover and the plants help keep a nice healthy balance for your water. Not to mention, they look great! Just a thought.

You do know that Java Fern needs to be tied to wood or rock or something right?

tf1265 08-02-2011 04:43 PM

Yes, I don't keep driftwood in my tank because i'm afraid of the potential acidity problems it can cause, but I've got a couple sizeable rocks prepared for it.

I do have other plants in my tank, nothing fancy just typical pet store aquatic plants - a couple varieties of swords, etc. But i've heard really great things about java fern, and I actually have some bettas at work that I thought might love it. They have fake plants right now, which I definitely don't prefer but I "inherited" this tank with the job.

Inga 08-02-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1265 (Post 762528)
Yes, I don't keep driftwood in my tank because i'm afraid of the potential acidity problems it can cause, but I've got a couple sizeable rocks prepared for it.

I do have other plants in my tank, nothing fancy just typical pet store aquatic plants - a couple varieties of swords, etc. But i've heard really great things about java fern, and I actually have some bettas at work that I thought might love it. They have fake plants right now, which I definitely don't prefer but I "inherited" this tank with the job.

Ha Ha Well there are a lot worse things you could have inherited then a fish tank with plastic plants. I think Java Fern is kind of cool but it grows slowly. Right now I have Java fern growing out of one side of the intake on the filter. I make sure it doesn't block too much of the water flow and it is growing happily. Other plants quadruple in the time it takes the Java fern to double it seems.

redchigh 08-02-2011 04:53 PM

FYI, neon tetras and corys would prefer those 'acidic problems'- it matches their native habitat.

tf1265 08-02-2011 04:55 PM

Really? I don't know much about it, only that I've seen a lot of people complain that it makes their water too acidic for a lot of the fish. My tap water is naturally about 7.2, would driftwood lower it too much do you think?

redchigh 08-02-2011 04:59 PM

Not at all. Might lower it to 7.0, but even that's unlikely.

Neons and cories are fine down to 5.5-6.0, sometimes lower. You have no worries.

The wood might give the water a slight brownish tinge (like watered down tea), but this too is just going to help the fish relax and mimic their native habitat.

Malaysian driftwood is great- it sinks and doesn't release much tannins. Aquarium Plants Pond Plants From Sweet Aquatics has it fairly cheap.

For a cheaper route, visit a nearby lake and boil the wood first.