Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Your Opinion Needed. Bottom feeders best suited to breeding angels tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/your-opinion-needed-bottom-feeders-best-76755/)

FishMad 08-02-2011 03:22 AM

Your Opinion Needed. Bottom feeders best suited to breeding angels tank?

My gorgeous pair of breeding Angels now have their own home but, I would like to add some bottom feeders to help keep the tank clean. Although we breed (and therefore have 1000's) mystery snails we will not be putting any into this tank. Unfortunately they climb over the leaves of the Anubias and love it when they come across yummy Angel eggs. At this stage we are thinking Corydoras.......we have 4 in our large display tank and they do a great job keeping the bottom clean. However, I was wondering if there are any other options as the tank looks very bare and the Angels are hopeless when it comes to cleaning the bottom of the tank. What is your recommendation?

kitten_penang 08-02-2011 03:58 AM

cory's would be great plus i can't think off any other fish that wont pass on yummy eggs stuck to a leaf :lol:

BarbH 08-02-2011 05:01 AM

I know alot of people who raise angels keep bristlenose plecos in thier tanks.

Byron 08-02-2011 09:38 AM

If you want to raise the fry, I would not include any catfish species in the tank. Catfish are usually active during total darkness, when cichlids are not. That is when the eggs or the fry will disappear within seconds. I have had both species of Mikrogeophagus and some Apistogramma spawn in community tanks with corys, and rarely will any fry survive. With very thick plants they might, one or two. I have witnessed a group of corys coming upon a shoal of Ram fry being guarded by the parents, but the cichlids could not defend the shoal from the 3-4 corys, it was over in a few seconds, and this was in daylight. During darkness the cichlids cannot defend their eggs or fry at all.

Byron.

FishMad 08-03-2011 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 762020)
If you want to raise the fry, I would not include any catfish species in the tank. Catfish are usually active during total darkness, when cichlids are not. That is when the eggs or the fry will disappear within seconds. I have had both species of Mikrogeophagus and some Apistogramma spawn in community tanks with corys, and rarely will any fry survive. With very thick plants they might, one or two. I have witnessed a group of corys coming upon a shoal of Ram fry being guarded by the parents, but the cichlids could not defend the shoal from the 3-4 corys, it was over in a few seconds, and this was in daylight. During darkness the cichlids cannot defend their eggs or fry at all. Byron.

My bold. REALLY? My Angels spawned 3 times in my community tank which included 4 corys which even when the divider was put in stayed on the same side as the Angels. Not once did I see the Corys go anywhere near the eggs/fry. My experience with my corys has always been that they are hardly seen, always rummaging on the bottom in amongst the Java Fern.

Today I purchased 4 Albino Corys (small) and have put them in with the Angels. I guess once the Angels spawn again, I will just have to observe the corys closely. So far I have been blown away by the fierce protectiveness displayed by my Angels. During their most recent success with free swimming fry I realised there was a snail on the leaf that mum and dad were trying to keep their fry on so, I felt I had to remove this snail. WELL......bloody hell, I had no idea that these gentle looking fish were so strong and aggressive. I was bitten by both of them (more than once) and they 'barged' my hand so hard I was caught off guard.

I think I am in serious trouble........I am becoming more and more addicted to my fish. With 3 tanks, 5ft/3ft/2ft I am truly in danger of selling my furniture to fit more tanks in:lol:

kitten_penang 08-03-2011 05:36 AM

haha i have the same syndrome 4 feet,3 feet x3,and a custom made square jacuzi sized tank,a mini qt tank and a 2 footer :lol:

Byron 08-03-2011 09:43 AM

It is a risk as I mentioned. My Bolivian Ram spawned 4 times in my 115g tank which has 30 corys, and twice the eggs were devoured during the night, and the other two times the fry after a couple days. With the Blue Ram, I actually witnessed the assualt; the eggs survived, but on about the second day of the fry being shepherded around, a group of 4 corys came upon them as i happened to be observing, and the frenzy was beyond the Rams' ability. When the shoal of fry was charged, the corys picked them off easily. My Apistogramma baenschi are always spawning in my 70g, and again the eggs manage to survive to hatch (probably because they are stationary and the parents can easily hover over them at night) but the fry do not except for two from the first spawn.

FishMad 08-03-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 763762)
haha i have the same syndrome 4 feet,3 feet x3,and a custom made square jacuzi sized tank,a mini qt tank and a 2 footer :lol:

I can totally understand how this happens especially when you like a wide variety of fish who are unable to cohabitate and/or your beloved begin breeding. That is how it is expanding for us. It is nice to have the large, display tank then we breed snails (for various reasons i.e keeping 5 large very naughty Clown Loaches happy and occupied, another food source for my Blue tongue (yep, another addiction:roll:) and the fnal bonus, helping to keep all tanks algae free) and they live with my guppies who breed constantly and then.......when my gorgeous Angels began spawing well, what can I say? It broke my heart to watch them guarding their eggs and fry so fiercely only to get to around day 10 and wake up to no beautiful babies and 2 very depressed (I mean that!) mummy and daddy Angels.

Byron, once again Thank you for your awesome advice. I guess it will be a case of wait and see when the Angels spawn again. It isn't really too big a deal, I can move the corys into the 5ft tank with the 4 other corys.

kitten_penang 08-04-2011 07:33 AM

what to do were suckers for babies :-D