Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy Just Sitting There (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-just-sitting-there-76737/)

Sakura8 08-01-2011 11:01 PM

Guppy Just Sitting There

This guppy is a mystery to me! When she is in the 10g, she just sits on the bottom of the tank. When I put her in her own QT tank, she just sits at the top and looks fine. Is she sick? Is she ready to give birth? She doesn't look like it, she's not super big yet. Does she hate the bubblewand? Did she lose a contact lens in the sand and she's looking for it? What is it? Why does she just sit there? If anyone out there knows anything about guppies, help! She's driving me crazy!

I have one other female who looks more pregnant but she is also more active. Also one male and four panda cory cats. Just did a water change, do them at least once a week, usually twice a week.

small fry 08-01-2011 11:17 PM

Honestly, I am not sure. My sister had a guppy (that was often pregnant) that showed the same behavior. She is still alive today. Is she responsive when you look at her? My sister's was. She seemed somewhat "out of it", but she also looked healthy and was sometimes very active. When the temps were somewhat low the guppies were all slower (being coldblooded and everything).

Sakura8 08-01-2011 11:55 PM

She just hovers there but when I get the net, she's off like a shot. I put the net away and she goes back to her spot and hovers again. *shrugs* I'm so puzzled. I'm glad you told me about your sister's guppy though. Maybe mine is like that, too. I just want to make sure she doesn't have anything that she can give to the other fish. I already checked her over with a flashlight and she looks fine that way. I think the temp is . . . 82* but that thermometer isn't very accurate. :roll: It would show 82* in a bowl of ice water. I need a new thermometer.

kitten_penang 08-02-2011 04:20 AM

is the thermometer leaking btw... it's really funny it shows 82 in ice water :lol: is the guppy having laboured breathing ? whats the water parameters.do you use conditioners after water change?

Sakura8 08-02-2011 10:13 AM

The thermometer is some fancy plastic thing I just got that sticks to the tank with a magnet. It cost twice as much as a regular thermometer and it doesn't even work. Grr. But the last glass thermometer I had broke and all the ball bearings came out so I thought I'd try plastic. Just ordered a digital probe thermometer, hopefully when it arrives I can get some accurate readings. The water feels lukewarm, though, about the same as the water in my betta tanks and their heaters are set for 79, so I assume the temp in the guppy's tank is around there, too.

She doesn't seem to have labored breathing at all, she just . . . hovers at the bottom. The tank parameters are normal, no ammonia or nitrite/nitrates. I do know my pH and KH are a little high (7.4 and 6ppm respectively) but the other guppies and the cories seem to have adjusted so I just don't know what's up with this one. Right now she's hovering on the bottom behind my moss ball. Maybe she thinks she's a cory cat?

By the way, do guppies like/need airstones? I have a bubblewand that provides a wall of bubbles in the back of the tank but I turned it off to see if that was bothering her.

kitten_penang 08-03-2011 01:10 AM

no difficulty breathing means thres enough o2. guppies dont like a lo of current in the tank they prefer stiller water

Sakura8 08-03-2011 01:58 AM

Okay, got it. I'll take out the bubblewand. Thanks. :-)

kitten_penang 08-03-2011 02:02 AM

oppss... i read wrong don't take it out.i was thinking don't add another if there was already one

Sakura8 08-03-2011 02:07 AM

Oh. Hehe, okay. I'll leave it then. I moved them to a different tank for observation, so far they're all hanging around at the top in a little group. She seems perfectly healthy, it's just when she gets into the 10g, she hovers at the bottom. Sigh, I'll never understand fish.

kitten_penang 08-03-2011 02:21 AM

well they are some what like humans :lol: