Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   whats happy in 5 gallons? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/whats-happy-5-gallons-7657/)

beetlebz 08-19-2007 10:58 PM

whats happy in 5 gallons?

Hey gang..

ive been dying to get myself a little eclipse 5 hex tank to go next to my bed. there are lots of wee fish out there but i see most of them want 10+ gallons. im just curious what you guys would put in a tank that small.

i was thinking sparkling gourami (a pair of them) or a Harlequin Rasbora..

something small enough to be happy in a 5g hex w/ some drift wood and fake plants, but not so timid that they hide all the time. any thoughts?

Lupin 08-19-2007 11:00 PM

A betta, a trio of Endler's Livebearers or a trio of guppies.

beetlebz 08-20-2007 12:06 AM

in regards to the betta, and i know its a stupid question... and im probably not going that route but I just have to ask... doesnt 1 betta in a tank all by itself get.. well... lonely?

Lupin 08-20-2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
in regards to the betta, and i know its a stupid question... and im probably not going that route but I just have to ask... doesnt 1 betta in a tank all by itself get.. well... lonely?

Nope. A mirror can be used to keep him entertained and lively but be sure to remove it when you think it's time to do so. He can be given enough time to flare up against his reflection.

GregV 08-20-2007 01:44 AM

i would avoid hex's, cause there really only good for bettas

but yeah i nice fancey betta and some snails or shrimp are always good.

beetlebz 08-20-2007 01:48 AM

well im not married to the hex idea, just something small for my nightstand

GregV 08-20-2007 12:39 PM

i have had a 10 gallon hex for about 7 years now, fish just dont do well in it, it seems to stress them out alot because there exposed everywhere and theres corners everywhere they go!

depending on the width tho your hex might be ok, but personally i think eclipse makes some good 5 gallons that have kinda a cool rounded front and filter intigrated into the canopy, they work great for nightstands.

leifthebunny 08-20-2007 03:30 PM

I've got a betta in with sparkling gouramis in a 6g eclipse. I keep celestial danios (galaxy rasboras) and several other small fish in the tank. As I have several swords in the tank, it keeps the gouramis from getting into it with the betta, which are the only occupants the betta has an issue with.

beetlebz 08-20-2007 03:35 PM

actually im second guessing the hex at all after reading your other thread about your 10g hex, greg. i think itll be a good ole fashioned 10g rectangular with some gouramis :)