Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   1g aquarium, 2 goldfish, what do i do?! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/1g-aquarium-2-goldfish-what-do-7654/)

00ej8 08-19-2007 09:57 PM

1g aquarium, 2 goldfish, what do i do?!

My girlfriend and I wanted some fish, so we went to petsmart. The budget was tight, and we ended up with a 1 gallon (betta?) kit with fluorescent lighting and a filter. Following the fish guy's advice, I bought 2 chinese fantail (I think) goldfish. He said it was either those or a betta, and my girlfriend thought the goldfish were pretty. I put in some gravel and a fake coral thingy, filled her up with distilled water, started the filter, and put the fish in.

It has been over 2 weeks since I set it up. I have been changing ~20% of the water just about every other day. We feed the fish flakes once a day. The fish seem to be doing well, but after doing a little research, I see that it was a bad pick. I do not have any testing equipment so I do not know what my levels are, and I'm afraid our fish are going to die. Buying another aquarium setup is really not an option, and I'm not sure what to do.

Should I get rid of the fish? We've grown pretty fond of them and I'd like to keep them.

Lupin 08-19-2007 10:47 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

Yes, please return the fish. You'll made a wise decision by returning them. A gallon is far too small for any fish even a betta. I would suggest 5 gallons as the minimum for a betta. A 15 gallons is best to start with when keeping a community.

mHeinitz57 08-20-2007 07:47 AM

being a former petsmart employee I am ashamed of that person who told you that, lol. I know they have a 2 week guaruntee but tell them you've done research and goldfish are extremely dirty, can grow 6-12 inches depending on the type and can live upwards of 20 years in the right environment. It was their mistake and they should still replace it. If the person you speak to declines, ask to speak to a manager because the manager definitely will do the exchange. Get a betta :-)

00ej8 08-20-2007 09:26 AM

She wants me to set up the 20g aquarium her dad has. that would be suitable for the goldfish, right? Could I have other animals in a 20g tank with them?

jsm11482 08-20-2007 10:36 AM

The 20 gal is much better. I will leave it to others to recommend different inhabitants you can add to that tank.

00ej8 08-20-2007 10:46 AM

cool, i need to plan out what i'll be doing with this tank, I guess I can start with just the goldfish til the tank fully cycles?

jsm11482 08-20-2007 10:47 AM

If your current 1g is cycled, move some filter media, gravel, etc to the new tank to jumpstart the cycle. You can move the fish, too, but monitor the levels and keep up on your water changes!

Falina 08-20-2007 11:43 AM

A 20g will be fine for the 2 goldfish for a good while. You will need to upgrade to about 40g in time but for a while the 20g will be much better for them.

1g is too small for a betta IMHO as well.

00ej8 08-20-2007 01:27 PM

wow, I can't believe the pet store guy let me get goldfish. I'm either giving them back or transplanting them to an outside pond.

Is there anything I CAN do with the 1g aquarium? are there any tiny fish I can put in it or is it just trash?

Falina 08-20-2007 01:36 PM

A mystery snail?