Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   clear water change (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/clear-water-change-7651/)

rubyred 08-19-2007 08:38 PM

clear water change

why when my tank had clear water and you do a 20 or 25% water change the water gets cloudy and in few days its get worse. :(

fish_4_all 08-19-2007 10:55 PM

It sounds like your tap water has a lot of stuff in it and is fairly hard water. If you have a test kit, test your tap water after it has sat out for 24 hours and post the numbers for GH, KH, pH, nitrates and nitrites. Also, test your tank water just before the normal water change to see if there are any major differences.

mHeinitz57 08-20-2007 07:55 AM

some tap waters just have a lot of nutrients in them that will cause a bacterial bloom of heterotrophic bacteria. This bacteria comes in and feeds off of free-floating nutrients and then slowly clears up. Also, how are you doing the water changes? Gravel vacuuming can also stir up nutrients in the water and cause the bloom. How big is the tank? If its small enough, you could try using distilled or RO water for water changes which will be pretty much nutrient-free. It may also help to fill up your water change bucket a day or two before the water change to allow the new water to "age". If you are gravel vacuuming, be as careful as possible to not stir anything up into the water.

willow 08-20-2007 06:24 PM

Welcome. :)
how long has your tank been up and running for ?
could you be kind enough to add as much information
as possible,it will help members to help you.
:)

rubyred 08-20-2007 09:14 PM

Thank you all for your help and your quick replies! :)

I have bought a new 55 gal tank set come with everything you need to get started including all the chemicals I had it set for over 3 months now and since I started I waited a month or little more and took my water sample to a near by pet store and they tell me what needed to be added and then wait a few days for another testing and everything is ready , I wanted to make sure my tank was ready for fishes before I buy.
My guppies seems to be dying one per week atleast :(
I have 2 siamese alges and one ugly dark brown with black spotted algea fish, 3 cory cat fishes and had 10 guppies now down to 4 :(
since I started after I bought fishes I have been doing 20% to 25% water change per week and I can never get the water to stay clearer it turns cloudy to geenish, I have add alge fix 5 days ago and still not clearing
so I go get the water tested they say its fine amonia a bit high to add ammo chip into the filter. (which did)
Oh, I have started to add distilled of water the last water change hoping that would clear it.

Do you think I should had used distilled water instead of tab water?

Picklee 08-20-2007 09:39 PM

Your ammonia probably spiked, and that's why your ammonia was so high. You shouldn't be using any type of zeolite or ammonia-absorbing crystals in your new tank because that basically defeats the purpose of cycling. You want the ammonia there to continue to establish the bacteria that your tank's biological filter will need. Eventually, the ammonia will just go away on it's own as the bacteria multiply and break it down.

rubyred 08-20-2007 09:57 PM

Picklee wrote:
Your ammonia probably spiked, and that's why your ammonia was so high. You shouldn't be using any type of zeolite or ammonia-absorbing crystals in your new tank because that basically defeats the purpose of cycling. You want the ammonia there to continue to establish the bacteria that your tank's biological filter will need. Eventually, the ammonia will just go away on it's own as the bacteria multiply and break it down.

I guess I go ahead and remove the ammo chips.
I am wondering if I need a bigger filter?
I have a TOP FIN Top Fin 55 Gallon Aquarium and the filter has two filter pads.

fish_4_all 08-20-2007 11:06 PM

I know oyu like yur LFs but please ask here before doing anything. It sound slike another make money LFS that doesn't care. Don't add chemicals unless you absolutely have to.

Do you add dechlorinator each time you do a water change?

Guppies will be one of the first to die in bad conditions, even in conditions that seem so bad so don't stress on them. I know it sucks but better guppies than a prized $50 fish.

The filter should work with your bioload but if you can, get filter pads that don't use carbon. The reason the algae treatment or whatever it was didn't work is likley because the carbon removed the chemicals before they could act. If and/or when you can, get a better filter. It will make things much easier in the long run and keep your tank healthier. If oyu want a HOB go with Penguin, Aquclear or another top brand and get one for a 75 gallon or get a canister filter rated for a larger tank.

rubyred 08-21-2007 10:42 AM

Yes, I add dechlorinator each water change.
I guess I will need to go buy a bigger filter.

fish_4_all 08-21-2007 01:38 PM

If you do get a new filter run them both for about a month at least so new one can handle the bioload.