Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Another stocking question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/another-stocking-question-76495/)

Jbrofish8 07-30-2011 08:27 AM

Another stocking question.
 
So I have a 29g TALL. Right now I have 7 cochu and 8 glowlight tetra. a small mystery snail and 1 oto and I would like to replace the 2 oto that have disappeared. (I think they went into my powerhead that was off..I searched everywhere in my tank and could not find them..)

anyways,

My glowlights tend to stay at the bottom of the tank, picking at the substrate and hiding in the plants. my cochu are all over the place, zipping around chasing each other.

Would it be not wise to get one more shoal of fish? I was looking at getting cory's but I almost feel that my glowlights have claimed the substrate :P

would another tetra shoal or some harlequin rasboras work? or am I pushing max capacity here?

Byron 07-30-2011 10:35 AM

I would suggest substrate fish as the best option. A group of corys (5-9), a Whiptail Catfish, etc. As you have "algae" fish I would not suggest more, like a Bristlenose Pleco for instance, which would be competing for the probably-limited algae. All of these eat the same basic algae, common green and diatoms only.

Upper fish could be problematic, given the active nature of the Cochu. Glowlight are inactive by comparison, hence their behaviours you've noted. Surface fish would be possible otherwise, but the activeness of the Cochu is against this. All surface fish are very sedate by nature, and do not appreciate bustling activity below them.

Byron.

Jbrofish8 07-30-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 757660)
I would suggest substrate fish as the best option. A group of corys (5-9), a Whiptail Catfish, etc. As you have "algae" fish I would not suggest more, like a Bristlenose Pleco for instance, which would be competing for the probably-limited algae. All of these eat the same basic algae, common green and diatoms only.

Upper fish could be problematic, given the active nature of the Cochu. Glowlight are inactive by comparison, hence their behaviours you've noted. Surface fish would be possible otherwise, but the activeness of the Cochu is against this. All surface fish are very sedate by nature, and do not appreciate bustling activity below them.

Byron.

Alright thanks Byron.

Back when I started the tank I had my heart set on harlequin rasboras. But I found the cochus which I had also wanted, but given up on finding. I guess I will just grab a few cory's and call it a day :P

Byron 07-30-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbrofish8 (Post 757680)
Alright thanks Byron.

Back when I started the tank I had my heart set on harlequin rasboras. But I found the cochus which I had also wanted, but given up on finding. I guess I will just grab a few cory's and call it a day :P

You could always get a second aquarium...:lol: like most of us. The rasbora and glowlight would be nice together, and a third group too, maybe Black Phantom or similar. I have not kept the Cochu myself, as they are active and can be a bit boistrous and if memory serves me nippy with less active fish. Hence my caution on other upper level fish.

Jbrofish8 07-30-2011 01:22 PM

I plan on it. Just need some space! I check Craigslist daily looking for a good deal :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Jbrofish8 07-31-2011 11:26 AM

one more question.. Would increasing the number of tetra I have already be an option? Like if I add 2 more cochu?

Byron 07-31-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbrofish8 (Post 758786)
one more question.. Would increasing the number of tetra I have already be an option? Like if I add 2 more cochu?

Yes, the more the better for the fish. And your tank can accomodate a couple more. I would probably increase the glowlights though, rather than the cochu.

Another thought, since you're looking into used tanks, if you can find a 20g long, it would suit these fish even better.

Jbrofish8 07-31-2011 11:38 AM

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out. Then I can give these speedsters their own tank and grab some rasboras for my glowlights :P

Quantum 07-31-2011 12:47 PM

I currently have glowlights and harlequins in a 20 tall, they seem to get along great, intermingling quite a bit.

One thing you may want to consider is that although they have distinctly different morphology, they are very much frrom the same color palette. So you won't have the same great contrast in color that you have now, if that is something that is important to you.

Having said that, the harlequins are great fish; hardy, peaceful, nice colors, you really can't go wrong with them.

I guess one option would be (if you rehome the cochus) to add harlequins and a group of other fish. I think black neons are underrated, with their red eyes and lime green iridescent line, they are really nice, especially once they get settled in a well-planted tank.

Byron could adise you better about compatibility and stocking numbers, but I think you may have room.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2