Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Praecox and Rasporas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/praecox-rasporas-76417/)

flowerslegacy 07-29-2011 01:21 PM

Praecox and Rasporas

Need some advice on stocking. I have a 25 gal but it's more square in shape vs. rectangular. Not the best schooling tank. Currently I have 3 Bumblebee Gobies, and I ended up with a single Praecox, being misled by the LFS who stated it wasn't a schooling fish. On the same LFS visit, I also purchased 5 Harlequin Rasporas. The Praecox and the Rasporas were schooling like crazy together. Seemed to be a good mix. But then I got ICH and all my Rasporas died. The tank is now healthy and I'm looking to re-stock. So here's my question:

The Praecox is obviously a vivacious eater. He literally bumps my Gobies for food during feeding time - believe it or not, my Gobies come to the surface to eat. I'm concerned about getting more Praecox, due to the "aggression" during feeding time (I know they're not aggressive, actually quite friendly tank mates, it's just during feeding time). My issue is because my tank is square, I don't have the room I need to feed in separate locations. I'm worried about my Gobies not getting enough food and my Praecox getting too much. However, Praecox needs (deserves) tank mates. I really like the breed too - they're wonderful to watch, with great personality!

My thought was to get 5 more Harlequins, which I was hoping might satisfy my Praecox. But that sounds immature, just by the sounds of it. I also don't know if it's wise to get more schoolers in a tank that really isn't schooling friendly. I'm just thinking about the Praecox and what would be best. That's why I'm turning to you for experience. I also don't want to overstock.

Thanks for your input!

kitten_penang 07-31-2011 08:16 AM

if it worked well the first time go for it but thats just imo

Byron 07-31-2011 02:58 PM

The Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish is a shoaling fish, so it should be in a group. Please check the profile, click on the shaded name.

While a sole shoaling fish might "manage" without his companions, that is not something that should deliberately be done. It's one thing to have a group of say 7 rainbows, and after a few years they die from old age and maybe only one is still left; leaving hiim on his own in the tank is not unkind. But acquiring a single young rainbow and isolating it is, in my view. Shoaling fish are less stressed when they are in a group so they can interact as nature programmed them.

If you like this fish species, plan on getting a few more and build your tank from that. Alternatively, take the fish back.

Byron.

flowerslegacy 07-31-2011 05:01 PM

I agree regarding the Praecox. I knew it was an immature thought, but wanted to throw it out there due to my inexperience with this breed. I went out and purchased 4 females and 1 more male. After a week or so I plan on buying 2 more females. That will be a nice ratio of 3 females/1 male. I already have 3 bumblebee gobies so I'll stop there. I don't want to overstock my tank, plus I want to give the praecox as much room as possible. Thank you both the input!

kitten_penang 08-01-2011 07:18 AM

:-D good luck with the new fishes

flowerslegacy 08-01-2011 01:21 PM

The new Praecox finally settled down enough to finally eat a little. It's a flashing, chasing frenzy - I never knew they had a face stripe that flashed. They're just gorgeous. I'm sure my next thread will have to do with Praecox fry and how to control it! Thanks again.