Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Black Ghost Knife Fish Tankmates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/black-ghost-knife-fish-tankmates-76411/)

broujos 07-29-2011 09:25 AM

Black Ghost Knife Fish Tankmates

Can i put a betta with my black ghost knife?? Also can someone tell me the most suitable tankmates of a black ghost kinfe!?? Thanks!!:-D

bigehugedome 07-29-2011 10:12 AM

I would say no. Like we said In previous posts, a BGK will grow, much bigger than the betta, and the Betta will not stand a chance. It may be fine now since your BGK is small, but why add the betta and stress it then have to move it later, if it even makes it that long.

Also, I believe you said you have a 50 Gallon. Most here will agree that a tank that size is not big enough for the BGK alone, let alone with other fish, especially since tank mates need to be larger than the BGK's mouth.

broujos 07-29-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehugedome (Post 756247)
I would say no. Like we said In previous posts, a BGK will grow, much bigger than the betta, and the Betta will not stand a chance. It may be fine now since your BGK is small, but why add the betta and stress it then have to move it later, if it even makes it that long.

Also, I believe you said you have a 50 Gallon. Most here will agree that a tank that size is not big enough for the BGK alone, let alone with other fish, especially since tank mates need to be larger than the BGK's mouth.

thanks, my bgk is only 2,5 inches now... when it grows and its still OK i will do something about it! Also im not planning to add many fishes with it... i have only a pleco now! im going to add two or three more fishes! i have read that angelfish gourami and discus are suitable with it! but u didnt anwser my main question about suitable tankmates of this fish!! can u do it please?? :-?

bigehugedome 07-29-2011 10:38 AM

I don't know exactly what is compatible with A BFK, hopefully someone who has kept one can help you there. However, I can tell you that, even if the angels are compatible, they require a ~50 gallon tank and a group of at least 4 to be at their very best, and discus are very sensitive and should also be in a group (unless you just want a breeding pair). So I don't think they will be good choices.

Once again, once the BGK grows, most gourami may become dinner.

TwinDad 07-29-2011 10:44 AM

The angel fish would likely been seen as a target to the BGK. They are also slow moving and sedate fish. The dwarf Gourami are much the same.

If you plan to upgrade your tank, you could get away with a few more fish that are small, but frankly if that is a common pleco it will get to be about 24 inches long and need a seriously big tank.

If your plan is to get a few small fish to keep in the same tank with the BGK, you can do it, but as it grows it starts to see food not tank mates.

broujos 07-29-2011 10:47 AM

thanks guys, but i write on google black ghost knife fish care, and the first page writes that suitable tankmates for it are big peacefull fish such us discus gouramis and angelfish... probably is it wrong?!? Black Ghost Knife Fish, Apteronotus albifrons Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

well,do u guys mean that bgk dont have any suitable tankmate?? :P

moomoofish 07-29-2011 11:01 AM

senegal bichir is a good tankmate

broujos 07-29-2011 11:15 AM

thank you!

TwinDad 07-29-2011 03:58 PM

Don't mean that there isn't a suitable tank mate, just that aggressive fish need to have tank mates that are compatible.

The BGK is a nocturnal fish, so is your pleco. The BGK needs places to hide, so if you get another fish that likes places to hide they might fight, so a surface or mid levels fish is a better choice then a substrate fish.

bigehugedome 07-29-2011 05:00 PM

Agree with twin dad. And exactly why a senegal bichir Is a bad idea since it's also bottom dwelling.

Your going to get two different answers to this question; one with suitable tankmates for a BKG( senegal bichir and maybe angel fish or gourami) and one with suitable tank mates for your BKG and your pleco for your size tank.

I wish I could help you with the first one, but Im not sure of any. as for the second part, you can google something and it may or may not work the same for you. We are just giving you worst case scenarios.

Good luck to you. Send some pics our way when you get a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device