Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   How many shoaling fish to buy at once? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/how-many-shoaling-fish-buy-once-76376/)

carmari1973 07-28-2011 09:18 PM

How many shoaling fish to buy at once?

Each time I get a question answered, I have a new one!

I've seen that when adding new fish to an aquarium, you should never add more than 2 or 3 at once to avoid overloading your filter... but I've also seen that shoaling fish get easily stressed if their numbers are too low. Are they an exception to the rule? So, for instance, if I want 6 zebra danios, should I buy them all at once? IF so, how do I choose which fish to buy only a couple of, and which to buy more at once?

Sorry if this has already been answered, and thanks.

BarbH 07-28-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmari1973 (Post 755743)
Each time I get a question answered, I have a new one!

I've seen that when adding new fish to an aquarium, you should never add more than 2 or 3 at once to avoid overloading your filter... but I've also seen that shoaling fish get easily stressed if their numbers are too low. Are they an exception to the rule? So, for instance, if I want 6 zebra danios, should I buy them all at once? IF so, how do I choose which fish to buy only a couple of, and which to buy more at once?

Sorry if this has already been answered, and thanks.

If I have not already welcomed you to the site, welcome to TFK. When buying shoaling fish you want to add them to the tank at the same time, so example if you want to get zebra danios than you would want to get a group of 6 at the same time. If your tank has already gone through the cycling process or if you have live plants in the tank this will help. If the tank is cycled depending on how you cycled it you could already have a good amount of nitrifying bacteria in the tank, it is possible to experience a mini-cycle but things should correct itself quickly as things adjust to the bio load. If you have enough plants in the tank than even the better because the plants will use the ammonia produced by the fish and break it down so that it is not harmful to the fish. Depending on the type of fish that you want will depend on how many you will want to add at once and also the order in which you add them. If you have not checked out the fish profiles I would suggest that you do so, and ready up on the type of fish you are interested in keeping. The link for the profiles can be found at the top of the page second tab to the left. Also if you have any questions of the numbers of fish or what will work in your set up feel free to ask and run them by the members on the site. Also before adding another group of fish you want to make sure that you allow enough time for the aquarium to adjust to the bio load.