Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Hair Grass (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/hair-grass-76298/)

JImi 07-28-2011 02:09 AM

Hair Grass

Hi Guys,

I noticed yesterday that the little patch of Hairgrass in front of the big bit of bog wood is starting to grow outwards now, new shoots are coming up a few centimeters away from the main plant. It seems to be growing faster than the HC and I was toying with the idea of moving the two patches of HC over to where the rest is and having one half Hairgrass and one half HC.

Ovbiously i will stagger it so it doesnt look too uniform. Thing is though I want a lawn look with the Hairgrass so how short should I cut it? At the moment it is about 3 or 4 inches which is way too high for a lawn I feel. Also the new shoots that are coming up are very, how should I say, squiggly? They are not straight like the ones in the main buinch, any idea how to sort this out or is it just because they are new shoots?

What do you guys think?

JImi 07-28-2011 02:56 AM

Oh also the Java Moss that was on the 'log' bit of bogwood I have now put on the bonsai tree, when it was on the log it was very green and no brown patches but since I have moved it to the tree the bits at the top seem to be going very brown but the bits at the bottom are still lush green.

Any idea what this could be?

JImi 08-01-2011 02:24 AM

Anyone?

kitten_penang 08-01-2011 02:42 AM

crs will hep with that problem.they eat off the dead leaves and keep it clean from an minute debris and algae which turn the plant brown an slowly kills it. you could either trim the hair grass or plant it deeper.i guess trimming would be easier except you nee to scoop up the trimmed parts from the tank

JImi 08-01-2011 02:46 AM

Is that cherry red shrimp? Also do you know anything about Hairgrass?

kitten_penang 08-01-2011 02:56 AM

yeah its cheery shrimp.im no expert in hair grass but some advice i got was to trim all the way down so the new parts will grow lusher and shorter thus covering some of the parts that do turn brown.some people have had very good luck with just normal trimming.the more you trim the lusher and thicker it gets.the most important rule would be to net out all of the trimmings.it will be a task of getting 100% of the trimmings out but it's for the best. the trimmed parts when stuck to other plants will decay and cause algae growth on the healthy plants and thus turning them brown and they will eventually start decaying as well.

JImi 08-01-2011 02:58 AM

Ok thats great, ty for the advice Kitten :O)

kitten_penang 08-01-2011 03:02 AM

your very welcome and good luck with the netting :-D

JImi 08-01-2011 03:21 AM

Yeah I have already experienced the nightmare that netting out hairgrass is lol

kitten_penang 08-01-2011 03:25 AM

:demented: the things we do for our tanks :lol: