Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help me with advise on Melafix - Please! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-me-advise-melafix-please-76253/)

GwenInNM 07-27-2011 04:36 PM

help me with advise on Melafix - Please!

Okay, here's the situation: I bought 5 healthy Cardinal Tetras from a good fish store, and they are doing well, but they are sooo expensive and I want to make a larger group. So, PetCo has them for $2.99 but they just arrived yesterday, looked a bit beat up - went back today, one is almost dead (the guy said he'd get them out) the other one has no pigmentation on his face, and it looks like fin/tail rot possibly. The six remaining look fine and are eating. Here's my question. Could I adopt the 6 that look "fine" and buy Melafix and dip them for some amount of time before I put them with the 5 I have in my tank, and feel somewhat safe?? I don't have a QT tank, just the tank I want to keep them in with the 5 Cardinals I've had for over well over one week. I have lots of plants and I don't want to mess my system up, as things are good, but I would like to get these poor guys! Any ideas?? Thoughts!

Gwen

LasColinasCichlids 07-27-2011 09:17 PM

I dont know if I would even chance it. Yeah, it might work, and usually healthy water is the thing they need most, but if it is something that can spread, you risk your current fish.

GwenInNM 07-27-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 753979)
I dont know if I would even chance it. Yeah, it might work, and usually healthy water is the thing they need most, but if it is something that can spread, you risk your current fish.

Thanks Amanda. I know. My husband says "buy the more expensive fish" and not infect the entire tank. So, I guess I'll go spend $4.99 per fish tomorrow. I'd like to spend less, but I'm afraid I'll regret it. Poor fish at PetCo, under those bright lights, no plants . . begging for a home :(

Gwen

LasColinasCichlids 07-27-2011 09:26 PM

I agree with your husband. Now if you didnt already have fish in the tank, or had the QT available, then I would say to go for it, but your other fish dont need to be at risk.
Sadly, these chain pet stores that carry fish just do not know enough about the fish to give them even a nice temp home. But the good news is that the fish generally arent there for too long before either dying or going to a home.

kitten_penang 07-28-2011 08:32 AM

what a good excuse to get a new tank :-D

InvertPlanet 07-29-2011 07:00 PM

Pimafix / Melafix is a love / hate relationship for most people.

That "all natural" solution is meant to enhance and protect the fish as opposed to be a "cure" for anything. A concentrated dip in it may well kill the fish from a lack of oxygen.

+1 to LasColinasCichlids for suggestion to keep the water healthy (water changes). That is usually enough to allow the fish's own immune system to combat any stresses.

If it is a real bacterial / viral / parasite issue, then real meds are necessary.

kitten_penang 07-31-2011 06:29 AM

imo i hate melafix

GwenInNM 07-31-2011 07:18 AM

This is all good to know about melafix. I didn't buy the PetCo fish. I bought more at a family owned, smaller fish store. They are all doing fine, along with my original 5. I have 8 now. Also, getting 3 more made a difference with the shyness. They are all more visible in the tank, and don't hide when I walk by the tank. My next fish for this tank will be a pair of German Rams. It was probably best I didn't take any chances with the ones from PetCo.

Gwen

kitten_penang 07-31-2011 07:25 AM

do upload the pics of the german rams :-D i love them so colorful