Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   hypothetical tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/hypothetical-tank-76240/)

carmari1973 07-27-2011 02:37 PM

hypothetical tank

After more obsessive-- I mean, extensive research (fine line for me, anyway), I've come up with a new 29 gallon aquarium plan:
5 mickey mouse platys
5 guppies
2 dwarf gourami
a snail or two.

Does this sound compatible to you seasoned aquarists? Also, about the gourami... if I can only find males, would it be better to only have one? Or should I avoid them unless I can find a male and a female? Thanks for your input. ;-)

zof 07-27-2011 02:42 PM

Sounds good, but unless you are looking for lots of fry, keep only 1 sex of the livebearers. As for the Gouramis even a male/female pair can be trouble, if your dead set on two then try and get two females otherwise stick with one.

Also you might look at skipping the platys or guppies and get some bottom fish, such as some corys. As guppies and platies are mid range to top level fish and the gouramis are top level fish.

Byron 07-28-2011 11:38 AM

You might want to consider Honey Gourami instead of Dwarf Gourami. You could have a small group in your 29g. They are more peaceful, and don't have the very serious health problems of the dwarf. You can read more on this in our profile, click the shaded name to see that fish's profile.

Byron.

carmari1973 07-28-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 754971)
You might want to consider Honey Gourami instead of Dwarf Gourami. You could have a small group in your 29g. They are more peaceful, and don't have the very serious health problems of the dwarf. You can read more on this in our profile, click the shaded name to see that fish's profile.

Byron.

Are they the same as Honey Sunset, sold @ Petsmart? Honey Sunset Gourami - Tropical - Fish - PetSmart They say they can grow to 4", which according to them is twice the length of the dwarfs, and I want to make sure I'm okay with the whole inches to gallon ratio. Thanks!

Byron 07-28-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmari1973 (Post 755658)
Are they the same as Honey Sunset, sold @ Petsmart? Honey Sunset Gourami - Tropical - Fish - PetSmart They say they can grow to 4", which according to them is twice the length of the dwarfs, and I want to make sure I'm okay with the whole inches to gallon ratio. Thanks!

The true Honey Gourami, scientifically Trichogaster chuna, is known under various names including Honey Sunset Gourami. You can see it in our profile, click on the shaded name.

The fish pictured in your Petsmart link looks like this fish to me. But it does not attain 4 inches, it maxes out at 2 inches as noted in our profile [though as it says there, a few sources say 7cm which is just under 3 inches, but the standard is 2 inches in aquaria].

Unless the Petsmart site has got the photo/data mixed up from different fish, it is incorrect. This is one problem with using "common" names rather than scientific. A common name can vary from country to country, even city to city. Many stores make them up to sell more fish.:roll:

carmari1973 07-28-2011 08:37 PM

Thanks, Byron... as you were responding, I noticed another thread with the same question... too bad I didn't look for one more minute! :-)