Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water Cooling Experiment...does this sound like a good idea? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-cooling-experiment-does-sound-like-76046/)

small fry 07-25-2011 03:29 PM

Water Cooling Experiment...does this sound like a good idea?

[warning: experiment is in experimental stage with obvious hazards. I am not yet recomending this. Attempt at your own risk]

Hey guys! It sure has been awhile.

I am doing my regular multiple 5 gallon bucket water change routine. I live in Texas, and it is summer, so the water is really hot (83*F out of the tap today). That is way too hot for most of my fish, and out of the prefered range for all, as they are all tropical. My room is cooler than the rest of the house, so I know after afew hours the water will be about the right temperature.

Here is what I am wondering. I know ice that comes through our fridge has chlorine in it (maybe chlorimines and other stuff...who knows what else), so I wouldn't want that to melt in a 5 gallon bucket. The concentration could be enough to injure the fish, and I don't want to take any chances with that. However, I though maybe it would be effective to take a small plastic bag, fill it with ice, and then put that inside another small plastic bag and seal both bags really tightly. I know that the water can leak out of the first bag into the second if it is left in there long enough, so I am watching it. Maybe I can find some bags with a water-proof seal.

But does this sound practical? It certainly seems like a more effective temperature decreaser. It seems at this stage like there may be a risk if the bag is left unmonitered (so I can't recomend this yet), but other than that is there anything that would be an issue with the bag in the water? I am not flucuating temps with fish in it or anything like that, but still I am just making sure that I didn't miss anything.

Hopefully I can find a plastic bag type that will make this work. Please feel free to comment.

zof 07-25-2011 03:33 PM

Your over thinking it, melt the ice in your 5 gallon bucket then add your water conditioner in after its melted, give it five minutes then add to tank.

edit: forgot to add the dechlorinators should stay active in the water for quite a while

small fry 07-25-2011 03:38 PM

LOL, I am overthinking this. ...or maybe I am not thinking enough. :lol:

Thanks zof! That sounds alot easier than my plan! :-D

zof 07-25-2011 03:40 PM

No problem, I have the same issue I get some grand plan going before someone stands in and smacks me on the head. I guess I forgot my v-8 today.... lol

Romad 07-25-2011 03:41 PM

But how big is the tank? If you add ice water or really cold water to a small tank, you're going to shock the bejeesus out of your fish.

I've seen threads about this. People take a plastic bottle filled with water, freeze it and then drop that into the tank so the water cools more slowly.

small fry 07-25-2011 03:48 PM

Hey Romad!

I am not adding ice cold water to the tank. I understand that smaller volumes of water have a much higher capability to flucuate quickly over larger tanks, which is exactly why I was working on this. The water from my tap is over 85*F sometimes, and the water in my tanks is usually 78-80 (I know, a little on the warm side), so I don't want to add really hot water to a cool-ish water tank, it would shock the fish.

I try not to flucuate the tank temps at all. :-)

DKRST 07-25-2011 07:41 PM

How about freezing some (recycled) soda bottlers full of water (2 liter or the single-serve size, whatever you want)? Fill about 1/2-2/3 full and tilt at an angle in the freezer. Leave the lids loose. Once frozen, tighten the lids and drop into your bucket. Thaw, cooling the bucket o'water, then refreeze the bottles for next time!

AbbeysDad 07-25-2011 09:00 PM

DKRST is on track if you choose not to use chemicals, although I might suggest regular water bottles with an inch or so of water removed. Smaller but one per 5gal pail should bring the temperature down sufficiently.
Admittedly, I'd prolly just add the ice, then add 10 drops of Prime per 5gal pail :-)

DKRST 07-25-2011 09:34 PM

+1 and if you use the same size ice every time, you can probably start to estimate X cubes drops a 5-gallon bucket Y degrees (always double check though!).