Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   A little angelfish help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/little-angelfish-help-please-76013/)

ScarlettAngel 07-25-2011 03:40 AM

A little angelfish help please

Hi guys.
I have a South American cichlid tank that was set up about a month ago using some gravel and plants from an established tank to speed up cycling. I added 4 angelfish to the tank 8 days ago, 2 from my community tank that are about 3-4 cms body size and 2 new ones about 2cms body size. I added them to the tank all at the same time so hopefully I wouldn't get any dominance issues. I got up yesterday and 1 of the smaller angelfish is hiding under the filter and didn't eat all day, today I've got up and the other smaller angel isn't hiding but isn't eating. I've checked the water - nitrite 0, nitrate 10, PH 7.0, temp 80. Neither show any obvious signs of sickness. There has been a little bit of dominance show by the largest Angel but nothing worrying. These are the only fish in the tank so far. The tank is 180L and gets about 20pc water change a week.
Any help would be grateful as I've grown really fond of these little guys. :-?

ScarlettAngel 07-25-2011 04:05 AM

Ok, so they are both hiding under the filter now. Do you think I should move them to my smaller 60L community tank (none of the fish in there will bother them) and let them grow for a few weeks, then move them back?

rrcoolj 07-25-2011 06:56 AM

Tank is bit small for 4 full grown angels IMO. It might be good to remove the smaller ones and let them grow a little bit. You might also add more hiding places in the form of driftwood and tall plants if you don't already have enough sight barriers in the tank. Also adding target fish in the tank like a school of tetras might help curb some aggression.

ScarlettAngel 07-25-2011 07:13 AM

Thanks, I do have plenty of hiding places in there, driftwood, rock work and 4 plants, they've just taken to under the filter. I think I'll give them a few hours ( it's lunch time here) and if theres no improvement by this evening I will move them. I was wondering if maybe there was something I could add to the water just incase they are sick that would cover a few illnesses!

rrcoolj 07-25-2011 09:12 AM

Well it's probably just aggression. I would make sure your nitrates are not high. If you JUST put them together like today i would give them a few days to get acclimated they are still new to the tank.

BarbH 07-25-2011 11:27 AM

180 L should be fine for 4 angels, equals almost 50 gallons. One the two angels that are hiding are they showing any other symptoms, clamped fins, rapid breathing? What have you been offering the fish to eat, just flake food? If you have it available to you frozen bloodworms thawed out in some of the aquarium water and offered might get their interest. Also what is the level of ammonia in the tank? The issue that I would be concerned about with moving the two into another tank is that the other two during that time will establish territories during that time and might cause more aggression issuses when the other two are reintroduced to the tank again.

Byron 07-26-2011 10:26 AM

You initial thinking on the aggression issue was correct; placing the 4 fish together in a new environment at the same time is sometimes effective at preventing aggression. But angelfish are still angelfish, and a dominant fish in the group is natural. Keep close observation and see if one of the larger fish is bullying the other two at all. Notice how they react when they are close, etc. The two may settled down and be out more, and as long as the dominant male is not physically aggressive, which only your personal observation can assess, they may be fine.

And let us know the answer to Barb's questions, it could also be something different.

Byron.

ScarlettAngel 07-26-2011 11:07 AM

Well. I'm hoping I've done the right thing. I moved the 2 larger angelfish back into the community tank that I'd taken them from. I figured if I took the smaller ones out and put them in another tank they are just gonna stress out even more, where as the larger 2 have just been put back into familiar territory. The one under the filter has come out with a little gentle persuasion and is just starting to realise the big ones aren't there and seems to be getting some confidence back. Hopefully when I introduce the larger ones back in a couple of weeks the dominance issues will be better. I dont want to leave my bigger angels in the community tank too long as it is only 60 L. I did try bloodworms but nothing was gonna bring him out while the others were there. I think you guys were right it was a bullying issue. My nitrate level is 10 and everything else is spot on.

ScarlettAngel 07-31-2011 05:46 AM

Well my angelfish has still been hiding, until yesterday. I finally thought if I keep waiting for you to come out of your hole before I buy any tank mates I was gonna be staring at an almost empty tank for ever. Anyway yesterday I bought 3 blue rams, acclimatised them to the tank, let them free and suddenly this angelfish decided it needed to do the old meet and greet and has been swimming happily since!!!

ScarlettAngel 07-31-2011 05:48 AM

When do you think I should try reintroducing the two slightly larger angels, they have been back in the small tank for almost a week. I'm thinking maybe try it in a couple of days.