Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   RIP Nuggy II (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/rip-nuggy-ii-7600/)

jsm11482 08-17-2007 11:51 PM

RIP Nuggy II

So over the past few days I have noticed that my Golden Nugget Pleco had a "bite" just before his dorsal fin. I figured that the new rubber pleco had been snacking on him at night. I monitored them both and they are never even near each other, plus the GN is about 4x the size of the RP so I thought he could fend for himself. Well today I noticed him lodged under a piece of driftwood. As I removed him I noticed that his underside was dark in a couple spots, like black. I have only had him for like 2 weeks. The only recent changes to the aquarium are that I hooked up the new CO2 system and brought the CO2 down (slowly) a few points. Any ideas what might have killed him? Everyone else looks and acts normal today.

Thanks,
Josh

jones57742 08-18-2007 12:50 AM

JSM:

I hate to say this "but who knows"!

As best as I remember I had two GN's die (many months ago) with "no signs of anything" while alive and a detailed postmortem examination did not reveal any anomalies (this examination included observing the surface in detail as well as, what I believe would be termed, a minor autopsy.

The water parameters were OK, no aggression noted when viewing my fish, plenty of oxygenation, etc.

GN's are moderately sensitive fish (although not even close to the class of Queens in sensitivity).

Out of the six which I started with at approximately 1.5" I only have two left which are approximately 6". (Please note that I would have four left if not for experimenting with an "off breed" liquid fertilizer several months ago which was accomplished in order to prepare a "Member Submitted Article").

The following may "seem like a weird assertion" but
IMHO the longer a tank has been active and therefore the more experience the fish keeper has with the tank, filtration, fish, etc. the less water testing that is required as well as an increase in the success ratio of raising fish.

TR

jsm11482 08-18-2007 12:58 AM

Thanks for the comments. It seemed weird to me since he was acting normal the night before, just suckling on the back glass of the tank. He was about 6" long so I feel bad that I adopted him and then killed him when he was so far into his life :(.

jones57742 08-18-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm11482
Thanks for the comments. It seemed weird to me since he was acting normal the night before, just suckling on the back glass of the tank. He was about 6" long so I feel bad that I adopted him and then killed him when he was so far into his life :(.

JSM:

OK: think I may have a "better idea here of what happened" (but who really knows for sure).

IMHO and contrary to a significant quantity of the literature juvies are much better able to adapt to certain instantaneous changes in water conditions than are adults.
Two examples would be:
1) The water which he was in was very low in nitrates and your tank water is very high in nitrates (or visa versa).
2) The water which he was in had concentrations (albeit very minor) of soluble arsenic, iron or manganese and your tank water does not (or visa versa).

If I "had to guess" it would be something "like this that happened" especially since you indicated that you "adopted" him which means that for whatever reason "something was wrong" where he was living.

TR

beetlebz 08-18-2007 12:56 PM

sorry for your loss, JSM :(

jsm11482 08-18-2007 03:44 PM

Thanks. Well, I guess I will never really know how it happened but I do know a couple things:

1) The store I get my fish, etc. from is very clean and run by a guy who actually knows what he is doing. So I definitely trust his stock and his ability to care for them. Perhaps it is slight differences in the water conditions that did it, but it's strange that he was fine for two weeks then all the sudden RIP.

2) This is the second GN I've had, the first just "disappeared." Even after moving the tank we didn't find him. I assume he died and then simply rotted away, out of view.

No more GN's for me!