Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How to catch smaller fish (tetras) in larger aquarium? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-catch-smaller-fish-tetras-larger-75989/)

yodapoolman 07-24-2011 10:21 PM

How to catch smaller fish (tetras) in larger aquarium?

Hey all, I noticed what looks like some white spots on the tail of one of my black widow tetras. He was an odd one to begin with, the tail was longer and more wavy than the others so he got picked on a lot. I didn't notice any spots on other fish.

I tried a couple of different ways to try to get that one fish out, but I had to stop because I thought it was seriously stressing out the fish. If this is in fact Ich, I don't want it to spread by stressing out the others :(

So how do I catch a single fish? I tried the bottle method...I tried a dual net method...I tried leaving the net in for a while, then keeping it at mid-level while feeding hoping to catch it when it came to eat. But it'd grab a piece of food and dart off when I tried to catch it.

Any ideas?

leogtr 07-24-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodapoolman (Post 749566)
Hey all, I noticed what looks like some white spots on the tail of one of my black widow tetras. He was an odd one to begin with, the tail was longer and more wavy than the others so he got picked on a lot. I didn't notice any spots on other fish.

I tried a couple of different ways to try to get that one fish out, but I had to stop because I thought it was seriously stressing out the fish. If this is in fact Ich, I don't want it to spread by stressing out the others :(

So how do I catch a single fish? I tried the bottle method...I tried a dual net method...I tried leaving the net in for a while, then keeping it at mid-level while feeding hoping to catch it when it came to eat. But it'd grab a piece of food and dart off when I tried to catch it.

Any ideas?

you have to be nice and say please when you want him to go in the net.

Im just kidding it is almost impossible but once I managed to get one out by removing the hood and waiting patiently for him to stay still at the surface. I did it in a heartbeat.

do be careful not to hurt him or stress them out too much okay?:)

Boredomb 07-24-2011 10:47 PM

Patience is all I can say. Taking it slow and and using two nets is the only thing I can do when I need to get my Colombian blue tetras out of my 55 gallon.

1077 07-25-2011 12:05 AM

Sometimes Lowering the water level by 50 percent and using two nets helps.
If indeed it is ICH ,you may as well treat the whole tank for all of the fish will have been exposed.
Product Quick cure at half dose for tetra's and or other small fishes would be my choice along with slowly raising temp to 84 degrees F.

BarbH 07-25-2011 12:15 AM

I agree with 1077, if what he has is ich than you are best to treat the whole tank. By the time that you can see the cyst on the fish the rest of the fish have been exposed.