Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Powerhead for 20G Long? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/powerhead-20g-long-75967/)

dth011 07-24-2011 08:01 PM

Powerhead for 20G Long?

I'm in the process of upgrading from a 10G tank to a 20G long (30" long) tank, and I noticed after I got the filter running in the new tank that, since it's off to one side, that the water on the opposite side seems to not really be moving much at all. I was thinking getting a powerhead to help add a little circulation so I don't have a dead zone, but I have no previous experience with them, so I have no idea how strong/big of one I should get, or if I should even get one at all.

I'm not wanting to toss my fish around, just create a gentle push in the water to get it back around to the pump. I was originally thinking a small powerhead around 80gph or so, but I wasn't sure if that was too much or not enough.

Any thoughts?

leogtr 07-24-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dth011 (Post 749308)
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 10G tank to a 20G long (30" long) tank, and I noticed after I got the filter running in the new tank that, since it's off to one side, that the water on the opposite side seems to not really be moving much at all. I was thinking getting a powerhead to help add a little circulation so I don't have a dead zone, but I have no previous experience with them, so I have no idea how strong/big of one I should get, or if I should even get one at all.

I'm not wanting to toss my fish around, just create a gentle push in the water to get it back around to the pump. I was originally thinking a small powerhead around 80gph or so, but I wasn't sure if that was too much or not enough.

Any thoughts?

hey there!

powerheads take alot of room inside the aquarium why dont you get another filter and put it on the other side? a small one will do just fine top fin ones are good.

zof 07-25-2011 01:27 PM

I think you are over worrying here about dead zones, I have a 20 long with just a sponge filter in it so there is very little water movement at all and I have yet to have any issues of course its lightly stocked too. Unless you have fish that need the faster moving water I would skip the powerhead idea. As leogtr said adding another filter is always an option too if you just need that water to move more on the other side of the tank plus you will get the benefits of extra filtration too.

sik80 07-25-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 750159)
I think you are over worrying here about dead zones, I have a 20 long with just a sponge filter in it so there is very little water movement at all and I have yet to have any issues of course its lightly stocked too. Unless you have fish that need the faster moving water I would skip the powerhead idea. As leogtr said adding another filter is always an option too if you just need that water to move more on the other side of the tank plus you will get the benefits of extra filtration too.

+1

Some fish species prefer water movement and others don't. Find out what you fish prefer and set up the tank accordingly

dth011 07-25-2011 06:15 PM

Well right now, I have my fish in a 10G tank with just the filter on it and they're fine, but I was just worried about the tank being so long, I wasn't sure if there was going to be a problem or anything since the filter's placement, thanks to the lid currently, is about 1/4 of the way across from the left side, leaving the other 3/4 to the right.

DKRST 07-25-2011 06:56 PM

+1 to zof's comments. A 20 long looks long compared to a 10g, but it's not a 4' or 6' tank. You probably don't need to worry about dead zones. If you aren't getting a scum film on the surface anywhere, and your parameters are "in the zone", you have enough water movement. Your filter is also not entirely at one end of the tank. I think it will be fine.

Welcome to the forum!