Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Filtration for big tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filtration-big-tank-75929/)

moomoofish 07-24-2011 11:49 AM

Filtration for big tank

So i currently have a 55 and a 10 gallon tank, and in the near future i am getting a 210 gallon tank, But i wanted suggestions and advice on filtration. What kind of filter is the best for this size of a tank? HOB? Canister? Dry/wet? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Byron 07-24-2011 11:54 AM

Filtration depends upon the intended fish for the tank. If you intend largish fish you will need strong filtration and water movement. By contrast, if you want to set up a planted tank with forest fish (angelfish, discus plus several shoaling characins as one example) then you want less water movement and less filtration because the plants do it. A canister rated for the 210g tank would suffice in the latter case.

moomoofish 07-24-2011 12:18 PM

well in it im going to have a black ghost knife, a senegal bichir, golden dojo loach, 6 albino corys and 2 angelfish and 1 oto. So far its moderately planted but i hope to add more in the future. and at the moment in the 55 there is a strong current, i have a marineland penguin 350 and a 200, with 2 bubble wands, so theres a pretty strong current in there. The fish seem to do good in it though.

Byron 07-24-2011 12:52 PM

Those fish all prefer quiet waters with little movement, so a canister would be ideal, and lots of plants. However, you have some real issues in this mix of fish.

The Dojo Loach is temperate water in temperature and should not be put in a tropical temperature tank. More info in the profile, click the shaded name.

Angelfish are sholaing fish and should be in groups, 5-6 would be lovely in a 210g. More info in the profile, click on Pterophyllum scalare. But nocturnal fish like the knifefish would likely stress angelfish.

The Black Ghost Knifefish, Apteronotus albifrons, attains almost 2 feet in length and is stiff bodied, meaning it needs a tank that is at minimum 2-3 feet front to back and 5-6 feet in length. Lots of hiding spots, thick plants, dim light (the fish is nocturnal) and minimal water movement. Smaller fish will be eaten as this is a predator, though a shy one.

The bichir is also predatory, and needs warmer water than the Dojo can manage with.

moomoofish 07-24-2011 01:51 PM

So which casnister filter would u recommend for a 210 then byron? And also what kind of lighting do u think would be good in the 55. Right now we have some hornwort, micro swords, dwarf onion, broad leaf ludwiga and other bunch plants in there.

Byron 07-24-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomoofish (Post 748851)
So which casnister filter would u recommend for a 210 then byron? And also what kind of lighting do u think would be good in the 55. Right now we have some hornwort, micro swords, dwarf onion, broad leaf ludwiga and other bunch plants in there.

Eheim are the best made and the most expensive; Rena XP are good filters, but have not been around long enough to compare durability with eheim which last for years if not decades. The size rated for the 210g is all you need.

What fixture do you have on the 55g? Flourescent tube (and one or two tubes, and what type T5, T8) or incandescent?

moomoofish 07-24-2011 09:11 PM

well at the moment we only have a fixture for a 29 gallon that came along with it, and it is flourescent with 1 tube. There is only light on half the tank because of that but soon we will be getting 2 24 inch hoods to get light on the whole tank, probably t8's.

Byron 07-24-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomoofish (Post 749400)
well at the moment we only have a fixture for a 29 gallon that came along with it, and it is flourescent with 1 tube. There is only light on half the tank because of that but soon we will be getting 2 24 inch hoods to get light on the whole tank, probably t8's.

If you're buying fixtures, for a 55g which presumably is 4 feet length I would get a 48-inch fixture that takes those tubes (48"). A single- or dual-tube T8. Or a single-tube T5, but they are much more expensive for fixtures and tubes which need replacing every 12-24 months.

moomoofish 07-24-2011 11:14 PM

is there any difference between getting 1 big fixture or 2 small ones to fit the 55? such as 2 24's or 1 48 inch fixture?

Byron 07-25-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomoofish (Post 749561)
is there any difference between getting 1 big fixture or 2 small ones to fit the 55? such as 2 24's or 1 48 inch fixture?

Yes. You will have more even light with the 48-inch tube, there are more options available (i.e., less expensive tubes in hardware stores always come in 4-foot length, sometimes not smaller, plus more options in types for mixing if you go with a dual T8), and the fixture sits on the tank frame so it is more secure. Unless you have a centre brace that the 24-inch fixtures sit on (frame), placing them on the glass cover is risky. And a 48-inch will be less expensive than separate 24-inch fixtures. And the tube will likely be less than 2 smaller.