Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Removed carbon filter in Fluval 305...what to put in its place? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/removed-carbon-filter-fluval-305-what-75857/)

yodapoolman 07-23-2011 10:25 AM

Removed carbon filter in Fluval 305...what to put in its place?

Hey all,

So in reading around these forums it was brought up that removing the carbon filtration would help liquid fertilizer to work better. So I did. My question tho, is that there is a whole tray in the filter now that's empty. Should I put more of the "pellet" for the good bacteria? Or shove an extra sponge filter in there?

I know it's been a while since I posted, but things are going well with the tank. The plant growth is super slow. Check out my profile for the plants I have, but from what I've read these are supposed to be somewhat fast growing plants and I'm no noticing that. I'm hoping that removing the carbon will help.

SinCrisis 07-23-2011 11:09 AM

I keep 4 baskets of biomax in my 305 and the top two are the prefilter ceramic rings.

redchigh 07-23-2011 11:13 AM

You have several options... If there is a lot of particulates in the water (specks, etc) then a sponge might be right for you.

If you keep acidic loving fish (like tetras and other fish from the amazon), then you might want to try some peat pellets.

I wouldn't really go with Bio-balls, since the bacteria can compete with the plants for ammonia.. (Plants can use nitrate, but they have to work harder to do so.)

Barbman 07-23-2011 07:25 PM

I put Polyester Fill in the empty bottom tray and it really made a difference in giving my tank that extra polished look.
You can get it at basically any arts /crafts store along with Walmart ... just make sure it's 100% polyester fill with no fire retardants. It 's inexpensive and a bag can last you months ... I change mine every two weeks and the amount of material it captures is amazing. It's all the micro stuff the foam filter pads don't catch.

AbbeysDad 07-23-2011 09:31 PM

The open cell foam used as 1st stage in many filters, Fluval as well is course to allow higher flow. In my AC70's, I use the foam, but augment with scotchbrite type pads*. In your case, the polyester filter media would be a good choice right after the foam and before any bio-media. Eheim uses non porous ceramic rings in some attempt to capture large particals, which would be pointless after cellular foam.
Use the foam pads, followed by finer media (filter floss), then in the remaining trays, some type of bio-media. Bio-max is good, I'm using Matrix.

*Intended as kitchen scrubbers, I came across a deal of ten 4"x6" pads (much like scotchbrite) for a dollar!!!
I cut slightly to fit my filter.

1077 07-23-2011 10:57 PM

[quote=yodapoolman;747386]Hey all,

So in reading around these forums it was brought up that removing the carbon filtration would help liquid fertilizer to work better. So I did. My question tho, is that there is a whole tray in the filter now that's empty. Should I put more of the "pellet" for the good bacteria? Or shove an extra sponge filter in there?

I know it's been a while since I posted, but things are going well with the tank. The plant growth is super slow. Check out my profile for the plants I have, but from what I've read these are supposed to be somewhat fast growing plants and I'm no noticing that. I'm hoping that removing the carbon will help.[/quote

I would replace carbon with sponge.
As for plant growth ,In low light the growth will be slow. I might consider using Flourish Comprehensive plant supplement rather than the Aqueon product and note any difference in growth.
From listed ingredient's ,I don't see much in the way of macro nutrient's in aqueon product.(my opinion)
You can google macro nutrient's for planted tanks and form your own opinion.
Your profile list's 24 inch 17 watt bulb(s) I assume you have two such bulbs over the tank to provide light for the 48 inches (length of tank)?
I might consider one 48 inch light fixture with two 32 watt to 40 watt T8 full spectrum bulbs were it me.
I think growth might improve, but will still be slow growth as expected in low to moderate light without CO2 enhancement.

yodapoolman 07-23-2011 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

1077, the tank is a column, so the length is only 24". But I do have 2 bulbs in over that. I would have preferred the long, but space constraints only allowed for the column.

1077 07-24-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodapoolman (Post 748251)
Thanks for all the suggestions!

1077, the tank is a column, so the length is only 24". But I do have 2 bulbs in over that. I would have preferred the long, but space constraints only allowed for the column.

I see, I had a 56 gallon column tank that I was considering planting but gave it to my sister for Angelfish.The depth of this tank compared to say long tank,, had me considering a single bulb T5 fixture .
I found one at Marine and Reef .com ( Hagen Glo T5 HO single bulb fixture).
I believe a two bulb T5 would be too much for a tank even as deep as the 56 gal column tank I had.
Anyhow,,it's something I was considering.