Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   saltwater equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/saltwater-equipment-75854/)

josh00498 07-23-2011 09:36 AM

saltwater equipment

okay so i would be very happy if someone could list some equipment that i am going to need to get for a salt water:

1. I have bio wheel filters, i used for fresh water ( are they okay for salt ?)
2. Skimmer, im not sure what they do i would like to learn more on these
3. i also have a heater
4. how much salt mix do i need ? whats the level supposed to be and how do i read that level ?

what other equipment do i need, i suppose i will do a fish only tank first,
Last thing what are some fish that dont need live coral, i do have dead coral, :shock:

thanks for anyone who can help im new at salt water if you couldnt tell :-P

Reefing Madness 07-23-2011 09:46 AM

Skimmer removes organic waste from the water before its able to raise to bad levels.
PowerHeads move water around in the tank, should have 10-20 times the turnover of water volume
Thermometer
Live Rock, 1-1.5lbs per gallon. This is your filter, once its get going its filters all the water for you. Ditch the Bio Wheels as these will cause you a headache with Nitrates.
Salinity should be kept between 1.017 and 1.026. The low end for Fish only tanks and 1.025-1.026 for Reef tanks.
Reef Water Test kit.
And a 2-3" Sand or Crushed Coral Sand Bed.
That should about do ya.

onefish2fish 07-23-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 747340)
Skimmer removes organic waste from the water before its able to raise to bad levels.
PowerHeads move water around in the tank, should have 10-20 times the turnover of water volume
Thermometer
Live Rock, 1-1.5lbs per gallon. This is your filter, once its get going its filters all the water for you. Ditch the Bio Wheels as these will cause you a headache with Nitrates.
Salinity should be kept between 1.017 and 1.026. The low end for Fish only tanks and 1.025-1.026 for Reef tanks.
Reef Water Test kit.
And a 2-3" Sand or Crushed Coral Sand Bed.
That should about do ya.

agreed, exept sand bed depth IMO should be less then 1'' OR between 4 - 6''

josh00498 07-23-2011 09:49 AM

ah okay that make sense to me now, so filtration wise all i would need is live rock no filters on back or underneath ?

Reefing Madness 07-23-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh00498 (Post 747348)
ah okay that make sense to me now, so filtration wise all i would need is live rock no filters on back or underneath ?

Yup, pretty much. Alot of people use Sumps under the main tank for extra filtration, its not needed but it helps quite a bit. I'm one that does not use one.

onefish2fish 07-23-2011 07:01 PM

im one that uses one, sumps are good at hiding heaters, skimmers, carbon/phosban reactors and any other equipment. my sump includes a refugium section which is a slow flowing area to breed micro fauna and house chaeto algae on a light that runs reverse my display lights.
IMO you could never have to large of a sump. i personally have a 40 display on a 40 breeder sump now. i could have been just fine with a 20 long but the added water volume helps.

onefish2fish 07-23-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh00498 (Post 747348)

and for filtration wise, enough live rock, water flow, proper sand depth, proper feeding routine, proper water change routine, skimmer and that should be your filtration.

you can add other things like a sump/refugium, carbon/phosban reactors, filter socks ( clean frequently ) but i wouldnt add anything more personally besides that. this method keeps my reef with 0 nitrates.

no bio balls, bio wheels, hang on filters ( unless gutted, modified and converted into a hang on refugium ) canister filters ( unless ran empty for flow or with carbon only ) i even avoid crushed coral, esp. in larger sizes as this acts similar to bio balls in trapping debris allowing it to break down into excess nutrients. slow flowing areas of the tank can also cause issues. avoid this by opening up your live rock placement ( for more flow to get through ) turn powerheads to these areas and/or increase the over all flow of the tank.

josh00498 07-23-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 747997)
and for filtration wise, enough live rock, water flow, proper sand depth, proper feeding routine, proper water change routine, skimmer and that should be your filtration.

you can add other things like a sump/refugium, carbon/phosban reactors, filter socks ( clean frequently ) but i wouldnt add anything more personally besides that. this method keeps my reef with 0 nitrates.

no bio balls, bio wheels, hang on filters ( unless gutted, modified and converted into a hang on refugium ) canister filters ( unless ran empty for flow or with carbon only ) i even avoid crushed coral, esp. in larger sizes as this acts similar to bio balls in trapping debris allowing it to break down into excess nutrients. slow flowing areas of the tank can also cause issues. avoid this by opening up your live rock placement ( for more flow to get through ) turn powerheads to these areas and/or increase the over all flow of the tank.

oh okay, well i figured i would wait on the salt water tank until i have a bigger one any ways, i only have a 55 g now, but thanks so much for the info ! :-)

onefish2fish 07-23-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh00498 (Post 748004)
oh okay, well i figured i would wait on the salt water tank until i have a bigger one any ways, i only have a 55 g now, but thanks so much for the info ! :-)

thats good you mention because i personally dont like to use 55 gallons for saltwater tanks because its hard to get your live rock how you want it. IMO they tend to make better sumps then saltwater displays.

anyways, goodluck with the freshwater setup, look into fishless cycling before buying any fish, and no prob for the info ;-)

josh00498 07-23-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 748007)
thats good you mention because i personally dont like to use 55 gallons for saltwater tanks because its hard to get your live rock how you want it. IMO they tend to make better sumps then saltwater displays.

anyways, goodluck with the freshwater setup, look into fishless cycling before buying any fish, and no prob for the info ;-)

yea well thats why i was double thinking it i'm not personally a big fan of 55 gallons but at this point i have to because i broke my 100 gallon :cry:

But you have helped alot thanks so much !! :lol: