Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Starting a Salt water Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/starting-salt-water-aquarium-75853/)

jeppun21 07-23-2011 08:47 AM

Starting a Salt water Aquarium

So two days ago i started setting up my salt water 14 biocube... So right now i have my tank with white sand and water.. Im just trying to get my salinity level right for right now... Im Instant ocean as my salt mixture.. So far i've been steadly going up in my salinityto try to get it to the correct level of around 1.019 - 1.022.. So far my salinity level is 1.010 and its steadly going up.. Equipment i have for my tank are a 50 watt aqueon heater, old school thermometer, biocube protien skimmer, and arcylic magnet algea cleaner.. Was wondering do u guys have any pointers for me since i am new to salt water aquariums... From what i read.. after i get the salinity of my tank all situated and my ph, nitrate nitrite and ammonia levels are ok.. then i should add my live rock and my official cycling of my tank begins right?

Thanks
jeff

Reefing Madness 07-23-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeppun21 (Post 747302)
So two days ago i started setting up my salt water 14 biocube... So right now i have my tank with white sand and water.. Im just trying to get my salinity level right for right now... Im Instant ocean as my salt mixture.. So far i've been steadly going up in my salinityto try to get it to the correct level of around 1.019 - 1.022.. So far my salinity level is 1.010 and its steadly going up.. Equipment i have for my tank are a 50 watt aqueon heater, old school thermometer, biocube protien skimmer, and arcylic magnet algea cleaner.. Was wondering do u guys have any pointers for me since i am new to salt water aquariums... From what i read.. after i get the salinity of my tank all situated and my ph, nitrate nitrite and ammonia levels are ok.. then i should add my live rock and my official cycling of my tank begins right?

Thanks
jeff

Get your Salinity down right away, no reason to raise it alittle at a time, you have nothing to harm if its brand new. Throw your rock in as soon as you get the salinity to 1.025( reef levels ) and let the Live Rock cycle your tank for you. Do you have any powerheads? Pumps to push the water around in the tank.

jeppun21 07-23-2011 10:33 AM

Ok i will right away... Even if my salinity gets way too high i can always add freshwater to bring it back down correct.. I just have the biocube power head that came with it.. should i consider getting one that creates greater water flow? What live rock do u recommend.. i thnk at my LFS they have Fiji ones.

thanks
jeff

Caligirl330 07-23-2011 12:39 PM

Yes to maintain your salinity top off the tank with RO/DI freshwater, not regular tap water. You can put the rock in right away and fiji LR is good. When you buy the LR make sure it doesn't smell like rotting fish and you should be OK. There really isn't 100% cured LR so when you add it it will probably cause a nitrate or ammonia spike.
The amount of water flow sounds pretty good, check the surface of your water and if it isn't clear or if there are some dead spots in the tank then you could add another small pump. You don't want too much water flow though.

jeppun21 07-23-2011 01:06 PM

What RO/DI freshwater? Do u have to buy specific water at a LFS or are u able to create that using chemicals or filtrations?

THanks
jeff

Caligirl330 07-23-2011 01:33 PM

I buy my water from a specific LFS that has good quality RO/DI water, with a consistent PH. RO/DI water is reverse Osmosis/ D Ionized water that has been stripped of large molecules and ions. Regular tap water contains chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrogen, phosphates, silicates, etc. I think grocery stores also sell ro/di water but it is probably expensive. If you have a water supply store near you they might also sell it. You can eventually set up your own RO/DI water system as well! It really is beneficial to use

jeppun21 07-23-2011 02:15 PM

Oh ok.. I thnk i'll look into that when i go visit my LFS.. I want to get my tank set up nice and perfect before i add fish and LR.. THank you very much for the advise

Thanks
jeff

Caligirl330 07-23-2011 02:21 PM

No problem I am happy to help out, I know how difficult it is start this hobby. I am so happy that you are asking these questions because you obviously care for the well being of your future occupants :thumbsup:

Reefing Madness 07-23-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeppun21 (Post 747691)
Oh ok.. I thnk i'll look into that when i go visit my LFS.. I want to get my tank set up nice and perfect before i add fish and LR.. THank you very much for the advise

Thanks
jeff

Adding Live Rock right away is part of the initial set-up. Fish kinda come last. Your Crabs and Snails, Shrimp will actually come before the fish do.

jeppun21 07-25-2011 09:48 AM

-Caligril330
Thanks!! I just want to make sure my tank will be well established before i start putting fish and inverts.. So yesterday i got some fiji live rock about 4 pounds... So my cycling has officially started :) So i was wondering i have been reading a bunch on modifying tanks and since i have like a three chambers in my biocube for filtration.. i read that u can use live rock rubble instead of bio balls to create a better filtration system... Is that true?

Also i can continue adding live rock also right since i just started my cycling? The live rock that i bought was not enough.. so i want to do more aquascaping.lol

thanks
jep