Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New to me (fish breed) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-me-fish-breed-75836/)

alysalouise 07-23-2011 01:10 AM

New to me (fish breed)
 
2 Attachment(s)
Okay their called Glass something, i cant remember, but i spotted these 2 fish today, kinda different, and i would like to have some in one of my tanks one day, does anyone know what they are and what the care is for them? what other fish they can be with and a group of how many of them?


Here are pictures
They both are competly see through besides their bones

ladayen 07-23-2011 01:29 AM

The top ones are called glass catfish.

The bottom ones are "Painted Glass" they are injected with ink like a tattoo or fed chemically laced food to have those colours. The process has an extremely high mortality rate and those that do survive it often have stunted growth, lowered immune systems and an overall shortened lifespan. I would encorage you to not buy these fish, or even buy from a store that orders them.

alysalouise 07-23-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 747057)
The top ones are called glass catfish.

The bottom ones are "Painted Glass" they are injected with ink like a tattoo or fed chemically laced food to have those colours. The process has an extremely high mortality rate and those that do survive it often have stunted growth, lowered immune systems and an overall shortened lifespan. I would encorage you to not buy these fish, or even buy from a store that orders them.


Are the glass catfish natually like that? i wont buy the painted

ladayen 07-23-2011 02:13 AM

Origin: Capuas River basin, western Borneo (Indonesia); Greater Sunda Island rivers. Found in gently-flowing streams and rivers having still water pools or margins; the fish rests in still water and stalks prey in gentle currents.


Read more: Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus minor) Profile

Yep they're all natural.

LasColinasCichlids 07-23-2011 05:54 AM

Glass cats also get to a good size, something like up to 4 inches each (I have never personally seen one that big yet), they also require a group of around 6+. They are pretty neat looking, but they do require a nice sized tank. They also dont do well with fast or pushy tankmates, and they dont hang out on tank bottoms like most catfish such as cory that we are use to seeing.
I have thought about these guys on a few occasions, but for me at the time, practically clear fish didnt have much of an eye catching effect that I was looking for. I have gotten over that now, but dont have the space for them. They are nice to have if you can provide what they need.

AbbeysDad 07-23-2011 09:11 AM

They are neat looking.

Not to go off on a rant, but I think the practice of using dyes or other substances to artificially color fish is potentially harmful and wrong. About the only exception would be HEALTHY, nutrient rich foods that enhance normal color.

alysalouise 07-23-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 747242)
Glass cats also get to a good size, something like up to 4 inches each (I have never personally seen one that big yet), they also require a group of around 6+. They are pretty neat looking, but they do require a nice sized tank. They also dont do well with fast or pushy tankmates, and they dont hang out on tank bottoms like most catfish such as cory that we are use to seeing.
I have thought about these guys on a few occasions, but for me at the time, practically clear fish didnt have much of an eye catching effect that I was looking for. I have gotten over that now, but dont have the space for them. They are nice to have if you can provide what they need.


How big of a tank for just one group, i've stopped restalking my 29 gallon cause everytime i do i get an outbreak of ich, so i just figure what fish i have is who i will keep, and after being gone for nearly a month, (8 days at first, came home for 3 days and left again for another 19 days) my fish reduced by only a couple more, so i down to like 4-6 fish, so im thinking about putting them in my 14 gallon and 10 gallon once my baby fish(50-60 when i left for the first week now only 15....thus why i try and save all the babies i get cause i knew my numbers would go way down soon enough, and now im waiting for my bad luck, at this time i usually get an outbreak of ich that kills the remainding of my babies) get big enough and doing some new fish in my 29, like maybe a group of the Class catfish, and maybe like a smaller group of anoth kind a fish that will go great with the cats

redchigh 07-23-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 747289)
They are neat looking.

Not to go off on a rant, but I think the practice of using dyes or other substances to artificially color fish is potentially harmful and wrong. About the only exception would be HEALTHY, nutrient rich foods that enhance normal color.

Glofish are also colored, but in a safe way. They're genetically modified. :P

Back on topic- yes, glass catfish are awesome. If you like clear animals, try some ghost shrimp now.
http://www.wereallwet.com/wp-content...hrimp_care.jpg

or glass triangle tetra- basically the painted tetra but without the paint.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/IMG_7775.jpg

And the indian glassfish
http://www.aqua-life.ca/_mndata/aqua...ges/997555.jpg

Here's a better picture of a glass catfish so you can see them side by side-
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hVs1cZSgXV...s-catfish3.jpg

alysalouise 07-23-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 747371)
Glofish are also colored, but in a safe way. They're genetically modified. :P

Back on topic- yes, glass catfish are awesome. If you like clear animals, try some ghost shrimp now.
http://www.wereallwet.com/wp-content...hrimp_care.jpg

or glass triangle tetra- basically the painted tetra but without the paint.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/IMG_7775.jpg


My next question was gonna be what are the painted without the paint ha. I think if the group would all do well together i would do a tank of colorless fish, I think it would look marvlous

LasColinasCichlids 07-23-2011 06:51 PM

Your 29g would be enough room for a shoal of the glass cats and a few other fish.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2