Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting needed for 10 gallon planted tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/lighting-needed-10-gallon-planted-tank-75768/)

Cassandra90 07-22-2011 11:44 AM

Lighting needed for 10 gallon planted tank?

I have a ten gallon tank that I am interested in planting. The inhabitants are 1 male halfmoon betta and 5 albino cory cats.

I want to do a soil bottom with gravel on the top. The tank is placed on my desk in bedroom which does not get much light or none at all. The hood that came with the tank has two light fixtures, both at the moment are 15 watt tubaler shaped incadescent light. I know it is reccomend to have 3 wpg. I have tried java ferns and money wort in the tank and they seemed not to do well so I placed them in my 55 gallon.

What lighting should I be using? Should I get a different hood that only has one fixture?

Byron 07-22-2011 12:27 PM

That is an incandescent (screw-in bulb) fixture, same as I have on my 10g and 20g, and I use two 10w GE "Daylight" compact fluorescent bulbs, they have a kelvin of 6500K, in each. Absolutely ideal plant light, and fish look nice too. My plants do very well in both tanks.

Byron.

Cassandra90 07-22-2011 12:29 PM

Yes they are the screw in ones. Just seems I am having no luck with keeping plants alive in the tank with them. Should I get flourescent bulbs?

Byron 07-22-2011 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassandra90 (Post 745920)
Yes they are the screw in ones. Just seems I am having no luck with keeping plants alive in the tank with them. Should I get flourescent bulbs?

If you mean fluorescent tubes, no, that is a waste of money. You just need the right bulbs, and I mentioned the best. These modern compact fluorescent bulbs are superb. Less energy, good light (with the spectrum and kelvin I mentioned previuosly). Here's my current 10g below with two of these 10w CF bulbs.

Cassandra90 07-22-2011 12:56 PM

Where did you find the bulbs? Could I just pick them up at a lfs or hardware store?

Cassandra90 07-22-2011 01:00 PM

Zoo Med Labs Highlights Bulb - Clear - Free Shipping

Those are the bulbs at the moment I have in the hood.

redchigh 07-22-2011 01:05 PM

If you have a wal-mart nearby, these work well for me.
Walmart.com: Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct: Fish

If you can't find those, you can try a hardware store... Just look for a 6500k (often called 'daylight') "Compact Flourescent" anywhere from 10-15W will do nicely.

I notice you use soil. If you haven't set up the tank yet, you might want to read the guide in my signature. Since then, I've switched to using topsoil. You can use the miracle grow mentioned in the topic, but be sure you sift it and get rid of anything larger than a pencil eraser.

I wouldn't worry about the "3 WPG" rule. Many fish actually prefer less light. If you want to go natural, you could even move the tank somewhere that it gets indirect sunlight.

Byron 07-22-2011 01:06 PM

Those you linked are basic incandescent bulbs. The CF (compact fluorescent) bulbs can be purchased in hardware and home improvement stores. I use GE Daylight 6500K 10w bulbs. I suspect Phillips and Sylvania make similar. My local hardware store (Canadian Tire here in Canada) carries GE so I use those.

Cassandra90 07-22-2011 01:11 PM

I will take a look tonight while I am out. I am going to take the bulb with me so I can make sure the new ones I buy will fit. Since they seem an odd shape to fit into the fixture itself.

I am planning on switching it to soil. I will pm you for some information. I have read through your threads too, thanks.

Thank you Bryon and Redchigh

redchigh 07-22-2011 02:28 PM

the screw-in part is standard, it will always fit. I would just worry about the width of some of the 'spiral' bulbs. The one I linked to from wal-mart will definately fit though.