Algae under light
I have had my tanks established for around 6 months now. I do regular water changes and the fish are healthy. I noticed my lighting not as bright and when I inspected I noticed that there was a ton on this algae growing on the glass under the light. Then I looked at my other tank at it too had this. I hadn't read anything about this when I was first setting them up. I'm sure I should wipe this off but is there anything else I should do to stop this. Maybe just wipe the glass down when I do water changes? Thanks
How old is the light Bulb? What is the kelvin rating on the light bulb?
Sounds like it lost intensity and need to be replaced. You can find cheaper tubes at Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart that are "daylight" (6500K).
And yes, just wipe and remove the algae.
Are you sure it is algae? Or just a whitish deposit? The latter occurs always, due to the water condensing on the glass during darkness and then evaporating off during the light as it heats up; anything in the water such as minerals, dirt, particulate matter, is left on the glass. The longer it is left, the harder it will be to remove.
During the weekly water change, always remove the glass and clean it. Once you have this basically off, it is an easy matter. Every week I use a paper towel (wet, usually with the water on the glass as I do water changes soon after the tank lights are on) first to sort of "wash" it, both sides, and then dry it with a dry hand towel saved just for aquarium use. If your water is very hard (more calcium, etc), you may have to do more of a cleaning weekly. Vinegar may help if it is really bad, rinsed off well afterward, or even a scraper or razor blade. Depends on the mineral content of the water.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2