Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   I just made a fool of myself. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/i-just-made-fool-myself-7572/)

Lupin 08-16-2007 03:23 AM

I just made a fool of myself.
 
I bought 4 flag fish not knowing they would be my first killifish because I mistook them for livebearers.:shock: Will buy more.:welldone: I rarely see them and I am lucky to encounter them.:mrgreen: Atchacha!!!
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile82.html

fish_4_all 08-16-2007 01:21 PM

Good for you on the killifish. I want some but my LFS does not have anything close right now and can't get them for about 6-8 weeks. Are you gonna try culturing live food to feed them on the surface?

Lupin 08-16-2007 10:07 PM

These flag fish don't relish mainly on insects but rather green matter. I don't culture live food with the exception of guppies. I only collect or buy foods.:)

herefishy 08-16-2007 10:11 PM

Get some elodea to float on the top of the water. Make sure that you keep a full coverage cover on the tank, they will jump.

Lupin 08-17-2007 06:49 AM

Now, this made me even more foolish.:? The flag fish are actually mildly aggressive.:shock: I don't mind another tank just for them.http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6362/naughtygv0.gif Hmmm...My wallet says I can have another tank or I have to gather up my confidence to ask my neighbor if I can have her two tanks which she no longer used.:roll:

Lupin 08-17-2007 09:37 AM

Okay. I researched deeper and there were mixed experiences: good and bad. These fish have been known as little terrors nipping their fellow tankmates' fins. I have now seen evidences of this with some of my tetras' fins now in shreds.:evil: The males, in particular, if irate will actually do serious damage even at the point of killing the female. I decided they will be isolated as soon as I get a tank for them as I don't want to risk my fish to these little terrors.

On another note, these fish seem to have proven themselves to match the likes of the true SAEs for consuming green filamentous algae, BBA and staghorn algae. The bad side, however, makes me think they won't make long-term algae controllers. In the end, the SAEs would be a much better choice no matter what size the SAEs will be.:dunno:

I will soon make an article for these wee terrors. I need to further observe these guys.8)

gojoeighty 08-20-2007 05:33 PM

Those look great. I've had enough of my share of fin nippers, though.What else eats algae as good as those little guys and not so violent? :lol:

Hope ya have a great success with them.

Gojo

Lupin 08-20-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojoeighty
Those look great. I've had enough of my share of fin nippers, though.What else eats algae as good as those little guys and not so violent? :lol:

There are only a few I know that will eat BBA and most hair types of algae.:? Swordtails, platies, American flag fish and true Siamese Algae Eaters. SAEs are not violent.:P

fish_4_all 08-20-2007 05:48 PM

Rosey Barbs are the ones that are recommended to me most of the time as far as algae eating fish. The drawback is they are a barb and can be territorial and fin nippers.

Lupin 08-22-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Okay. I researched deeper and there were mixed experiences: good and bad. These fish have been known as little terrors nipping their fellow tankmates' fins. I have now seen evidences of this with some of my tetras' fins now in shreds.:evil: The males, in particular, if irate will actually do serious damage even at the point of killing the female. I decided they will be isolated as soon as I get a tank for them as I don't want to risk my fish to these little terrors.

Update: This fish is not intended for community tanks. I would recommend they are best kept by themselves or with barbs that can defend themselves but will not nip the male flag fish's fins noting that the male's fins are rather large.

I still can't believe I got more than what I bargained for.:evil: Tattered fins and all.:(

Quote:

On another note, these fish seem to have proven themselves to match the likes of the true SAEs for consuming green filamentous algae, BBA and staghorn algae. The bad side, however, makes me think they won't make long-term algae controllers. In the end, the SAEs would be a much better choice no matter what size the SAEs will be.:dunno:
Right. They dislike being fed with bloodworms.:roll: They don't eat those foods much and content themselves to attacking my plants instead.:roll:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2