Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   new aquarium suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-aquarium-suggestions-75683/)

elizabeth451 07-21-2011 04:25 PM

new aquarium suggestions

I want to start a 15-20 gallon tank with a betta, an algea eater or two, and some other small schooling fishes such as danios or tetras. about how many 1-2 inch fish would be comfortable for the betta and still provide enough swimming and schooling room for everyone?

brownmane 07-21-2011 04:34 PM

Hi. Welcome to TFK. One of the best references on this site is "Tropical Fish Profiles", second tab from left top of page. I don't know much except bits I've read on this site. Danios may need more room to swim than a 15 gallon, depending on length. Check out what type of "algae eater' you are looking at. Chinese algae eaters are not suitable for a lot of tanks because as they mature, they develop an apetite for other fish.

I have a 20 gallon that I have 7 lemon tetras and 2 panda corydoras and 3 corydora aeneus and some snails that hitchhiked from plants I bought. I did have a betta with them, but betta are pigs and when I tried to make sure that all of my fish were being fed, the betta became constipated and died :-(

Corydoras might work with a betta since they eat from the bottom of the tank and bettas eat from the top. I ran into problems when trying to feed the tetras and betta.

Byron 07-21-2011 09:05 PM

I do not recommend other fish with a Betta, aside from substrate fish (maybe). Betta really is not a community fish. There are many fish that will harass the Betta, and Betta can be very nasty to several other fish for various reasons. I know some have had success (so they say) with a Betta in a community tank, but I can cite you many sources that say no. A Betta is best on its own, a 5g tank is fine, with live plants, even filterless. And some snails.

Without the Betta, there are lots of options for a 15-20g tank among small fish.

alysalouise 07-24-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 745045)
I do not recommend other fish with a Betta, aside from substrate fish (maybe). Betta really is not a community fish. There are many fish that will harass the Betta, and Betta can be very nasty to several other fish for various reasons. I know some have had success (so they say) with a Betta in a community tank, but I can cite you many sources that say no. A Betta is best on its own, a 5g tank is fine, with live plants, even filterless. And some snails.

Without the Betta, there are lots of options for a 15-20g tank among small fish.

I've only done it once and did have success, I did 1 male betta and 1 female betta and some danios and suckers, but it was before i knew danios need a group of at least 6 (i perfer to keep mine at 9 if i can) and before i knew they need alot of swim room, they would perfer a 20 long at the very lease, but just because i had the luck of no fighting and fin nipping doesnt mean you or anyone else will. if you would really want a betta, get a 20 gallon long, put a divider in at the lease a third of the tank and put him on that side and what ever other fish you decide on, on the other side, this way you dont have to have a butt load of tanks instead just one with the fish you want, cause i think its a pain in the rear end to keep a betta in its own tank, cause i think its pointless to clean out a tank with only one fish in it lol

elizabeth451 07-25-2011 10:22 AM

rethinking

Seeing as how there has been such a mix of success with bettas in community tanks, maybe ill skip that. The idea behind the betta was to have a slightly larger, flashy fish contrasted with the little fish. what fish that is relatively easy to take care of is good as a loner or in a pair in a community tank, and is not too large? thanks everyone:-D

alysalouise 07-25-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabeth451 (Post 749961)
Seeing as how there has been such a mix of success with bettas in community tanks, maybe ill skip that. The idea behind the betta was to have a slightly larger, flashy fish contrasted with the little fish. what fish that is relatively easy to take care of is good as a loner or in a pair in a community tank, and is not too large? thanks everyone:-D

Well i just was given a 10 gallon tank the other day, and it had a blue gourami in it, and i put her in my 29 that has danios, guppys, platys, molly's, Black skirts, red eyed tetra, neon tetra, cherry barbs, and some other fish and she is a she (reccomend a Female from what i have read) she is already full grown, way bigger than the rest of my other fish, but she is very peacefull, not bullying any of my other fish, and pretty different, but if you want one that wont get as big, maybe a dwarf gourami, you would have to read up on them because i dont know much about them