Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Corydoras instead of Otos (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/corydoras-instead-otos-7563/)

mibi_fibi 08-15-2007 06:19 PM

Corydoras instead of Otos

OK, I've been sufficiently scared off of trying a couple of Otos. They seem to be far too delicate.
I'm now thinking about adding a couple of corys to my 6g tank. Other tankmates are a male betta and 3 algae shrimp.
Do all corys have similar behaviours or are some better for being with a betta? Are there some that stay smaller than others? Considering either julii or peppered cory. How many can I afford in a 6g tank? Can I mix types or corys?
I just want to get as many as possible, realising they are a schooling fish, but don't want to overcrowd of course.
Thanks !

Falina 08-15-2007 06:27 PM

IMHO I wouldn't put any cories in a 6g tank. They are a schooling fish as you have said and need to be in a group of 5-6 minimum which is WAY too many for that tank TBH.

Why don't you get a mystery snail instead? They are great fun to watch and a betta wouldn't bother with it.

mibi_fibi 08-15-2007 06:41 PM

:(
I'm running out of ideas for tankmates... I need to have something cute with personality, snails don't do it for me.
Maybe I'll go back to thinking of some kind of tetra...

mibi_fibi 08-15-2007 06:58 PM

Falina 08-15-2007 07:04 PM

It's just the size of your tank that is the problem MF, not the betta. It's a problem many poeple have when they first start a tank unfortunately. 6g just is a bit small for much more than a betta and the shrimp sadly.

If in the future you could upgrade you could go with the tetras and cories if you liked. :)

tophat665 08-15-2007 11:34 PM

The real issue is that the smaller the cory, the larger the group it likes to be in. Most of the common cories top out around 3", way too big for a 6 gallon. If you can lay hands on Corydoras guapore, they might suit your needs - they stay just over an inch long, and I believe would be happy(ish) in a group of 4 or 5. Really not your best bet, though in a 6 gallon tank. I did see a fellow on another forum who's an award winning aquascaper (think he won last years AGA Small tank Aquascaping contest) who had, I think 5 ot 6 C. Pygmeus in a 3 gallon planted tank. C. Pygmeus really prefers to be in groups of 10 or more, but, as they stay under 1" long, they're pretty irresistible for small tanks.

You might check this page out for other possible cories of a 6 gallon:
http://minifische.de/callE.html

jones57742 08-16-2007 01:03 AM

Mf:

You have, IMHO, received "a ton" of good input in this thread.

This is "the way that I understand" this input and will iterate in "my words".

The constraining conditions are your 6G tank and your desire for more fish but I feel confident that you do want to keep "fishies which are not happy" or will die.

Maybe a "low light" plant will improve the aesthetics of your tank in order that you can enjoy it.

Also maybe one male and two female guppies will add "color" to your tank (but I just have absolutely no experience with keeping guppies and a male beta in a tank: hopefully other members of the forum can lend their experience "to this thought").
Please note that if you add three guppies to your tank biological and mechanical filtration will be required or the tank maintenance will become a "real burden".

TR

Falina 08-16-2007 08:30 AM

A good suggestion Jones, the only problem being that very often, a betta will kill a male guppy because he will find his fancy tail threatening. I have seen it done before and it worked out alright but my guess is that this is simply because the male guppy is a better swimmer and so has been able to escape. I'm just not sure that a 6g tank is adequate space for the guppy to escape.

However I don't believe the fry would be a problem here as the betta would almost definitely eliminate any fry that were produced.

2 female guppies couold work but you would, like jones mentioned, have to make sure the filteration was aqequate. They also may not give you the colour you were after.

TBH, and I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, I woudl keep my money (not buy any more fish) and save up for a bigger tank. A 20g, or even better 30g, would give you much mroe options and would allow you to get 6 cories, keep the betta and even add a school of neons or something else that you might like.

Lupin 08-16-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie
A good suggestion Jones, the only problem being that very often, a betta will kill a male guppy because he will find his fancy tail threatening. I have seen it done before and it worked out alright but my guess is that this is simply because the male guppy is a better swimmer and so has been able to escape. I'm just not sure that a 6g tank is adequate space for the guppy to escape.

Julie, you're on the right track. You cannot mix bettas and guppies in a 6 gallons. Absolutely not. Fancy guppies often are helpless when 'rivalled' by male bettas.
Quote:

TBH, and I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, I woudl keep my money (not buy any more fish) and save up for a bigger tank. A 20g, or even better 30g, would give you much mroe options and would allow you to get 6 cories, keep the betta and even add a school of neons or something else that you might like.
Ditto.

jones57742 08-16-2007 11:22 AM

Folks:

I appreciate the input.

I am learning "a bunch from this thread" via yall's responses.

I am just trying to think of something which MF can implement in order to more fully enjoy the 6G tank.

How about (and I am not too enamored with either of these but they are exhaustive of "my thinking")

One. a small male and female platy.
Somewhere in "the back of my brain" I believe that at one time I read that red wag tail platies are typically smaller than other platies (due to the hybridization required for their production) but I cannot find a link now.

Two: three neon or glowlight tetras

Yall please comment on these for my edification as well as MF's use.

TR